Views
Helpful
Replies

INFRA_VN DHCP for the APs on the border

KatherineTran
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I'm wondering if there is any technical reason to why we couldn't put the DHCP server/pool for the INFRA_VN on the border nodes.

As long as we put a pool on both borders for resilience that is the only thought I have. Currently, we don't have a DHCP server to easily utilise on the fusion as it's not supported (nexus).

Thanks

KT

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Katherine, this is a grey area. SD-Access is a solution and as such we like to validate SD-Access configurations before claiming support. To the best of my knowledge the configuration you are asking about it NOT validated. However I am aware of some customers doing it anyway. You're welcome to test the config and proceed if it meets your expectations - remember to not put the exact same DHCP scope on both Border Nodes because the BNs wont share DHCP state with each other, meaning both BNs could allocate the same IP address.
Please remember that if something breaks later (e.g. if you upgrade to a new IOS XE version) and DHCP stops working on the BN DHCP server then TAC may not support it, although that seems highly unlikely it’s not absolutely impossible.
If you want a commitment from Cisco that this will be fully supported across all SD-Access and IOS XE releases then I’d suggest contacting your Cisco AM or SE to get the scenario formally validated please.
Best regards, Jerome

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Katherine, this is a grey area. SD-Access is a solution and as such we like to validate SD-Access configurations before claiming support. To the best of my knowledge the configuration you are asking about it NOT validated. However I am aware of some customers doing it anyway. You're welcome to test the config and proceed if it meets your expectations - remember to not put the exact same DHCP scope on both Border Nodes because the BNs wont share DHCP state with each other, meaning both BNs could allocate the same IP address.
Please remember that if something breaks later (e.g. if you upgrade to a new IOS XE version) and DHCP stops working on the BN DHCP server then TAC may not support it, although that seems highly unlikely it’s not absolutely impossible.
If you want a commitment from Cisco that this will be fully supported across all SD-Access and IOS XE releases then I’d suggest contacting your Cisco AM or SE to get the scenario formally validated please.
Best regards, Jerome

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: