cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8-port SFP switch (NOT RJ45)

richard_artes
Level 1
Level 1

We have a campus with 8 patch cabinets, all connected to a central location with fiber.

Can someone suggest an 8-port SFP switch to connect all these locations together?

(I am looking for an 8-port SFP (or SFP+) switch, NOT RJ45, UTP or any other kind of copper solution)

The Catalyst 9300 is way too expensive for my needs.

At the moment we are using fibre to UTP converters (SFP to RJ45), but that is not really a great solution.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

richard_artes
Level 1
Level 1

I found the  Cisco CBS350-8S-E-2G, that's an 8 SFP-port managed L3 switch for 300 euro. 

View solution in original post

Hi Richard,

The CBS350 L3 advanced switch should be e good match for your needs. It comes with all features-functionalities enabled and more importantly no need for a license. These switches along with the CBS110/220/250 are the lower-end Cisco fixed ports switches designed for small to mid-size businesses suitable also from a price-stand point leaning on more budget-oriented deployments with the same Cisco quality.  

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lets list your options like this.

1. 9300 series have 24 SFP switch

2. 9300 series have 24 port copper + 8 port SFP+ (uplink module) switches

3. 9200 series have 4x SFP or 4xSFP+ port switches where you can stack 2 switches together and use as single logical switch with total 8 x SFP/SFP+

4. 1000 series have switches with 4 SFP/SFP+ uplinks. you can connect switches using copper connections and use uplink ports for fiber links (this switches cannot stack as a single logical switch) 

Note - consider the required throughput (since this is gonna be like a distribution switch) when selecting proper model

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Thanks Kasun, I was afraid there was no cheap answer to that question!

you are right. as a other methods you can look for cisco CBS350 series in same manner. there is stackable switches on that series. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

richard_artes
Level 1
Level 1

I found the  Cisco CBS350-8S-E-2G, that's an 8 SFP-port managed L3 switch for 300 euro. 

Hi Richard,

The CBS350 L3 advanced switch should be e good match for your needs. It comes with all features-functionalities enabled and more importantly no need for a license. These switches along with the CBS110/220/250 are the lower-end Cisco fixed ports switches designed for small to mid-size businesses suitable also from a price-stand point leaning on more budget-oriented deployments with the same Cisco quality.  

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X