Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x authetication with dynamic Vlan assignment by a radius server

Hi

At school I want to start using 802.1x authentication with dynamic Vlan assignment by a Windows Server 2012R2 Radius server.

When a student logs in, I want it to be placed in the "Students" Vlan, when a Administrative employee logs in, I want it to be placed in the "Administative" vlan and when the client is unknown I want to place it in the "Guest" Vlan.

I have several SG200 switches and I configured everything as mentioned in the administrative guide but I cannot get it to work as desired.

What does work:
- If the client is permitted, the switch changes to "authorized" state. (before anyone logs on to the domain with that client)
- When a User logs on that is part of the Administrative employees, the switch changes to "authorized" and when a student logs on, it changes to "unauthorized". 

So far so good.

But what doesn't work:
- it does not put the administrative employee in the Vlan "Administrative", it just enables the port on the switch but leaves it in the default vlan 1.
- I can not find the Guest VLAN.

Any help would be appriciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Wouter,

Yes you are right, 200 series do not support DVA. Only 300 or 500 have this settings at the interface level.

Aleksandra

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wouter,

Can you see in the packet capture Radius accept message VLAN attribute? Also please ensure you have the latest firmware and boot code:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg200-26-26-port-gigabit-smart-switch/model.html#~rdtab1

I would recommend you to open ticket with Small Business team so they can go with you through packet capture and configuration steps:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Regards,

Aleksandra 

Hi Aleksandra

I believe the SG200 series is not able to move users to a radius-predefined VLAN.
It can only enable or disable the port depending on the user/client that logs on to the network.

I tried a SG300-10P and it works with this device.  This one also supports guest VLAN's.

Can you confirm this?

Hi Wouter,

Yes you are right, 200 series do not support DVA. Only 300 or 500 have this settings at the interface level.

Aleksandra