Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot change password on CBS250 switch

nahk
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I simply cannot change a password on the CBS250-8T-D in my lab. No matter what password I try (I tried a bunch ranging between 10 and 14 characters), I'm always getting

Password rejected - Passwords must not match words in the dictionary, and must not contain commonly used passwords.

Complexity settings are configured pretty liberal - max length=8, min-classes=3, no-repeat=3, and of course all the passwords I tried satisfy these requirements.

Given that it's a lab, I tried to disable the complexity requirements altogether by running

no passwords complexity enable

command, as suggested by this article, but it returns

% Unrecognized command

and nothing changes.

I'm running latest FW (3.2.0.84), which I just updated to recently. I'm now wondering, if it's a bug in the new FW, as I was always able to change passwords with the old FW (3.1.1.7).

Anybody else experiencing these issues?

Thanks,
Alex.

1 Accepted Solution
9 Replies 9

nahk
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, FW downgrade it is. Thanks!

- You may notify Cisco of this issue : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Using the lastest firmware, 3.2.0.89, I still cannot set the pwd to what I want.  It's enforcing previous passwords despite being disabled:

Terabyte_0-1675181069572.png

The pwd I'm using is similar to GrPl1684#%&(   Clearly that is NOT a word in the dictionary so the only thing that could be stopping it is previous pwds BUT I have that disabled.  I've even tried setting the previous pwds to 1 and changing the pwd 2x but it won't allow the pwd I want.

Terabyte_1-1675181152170.png

Basically, I want to be able to set the pwd to ANYTHING I want.  Period.  It is ridiculous on a switch with NO Internet access that I cannot set this to what I want.  Please tell me exactly what I need to do to fix this?

FM1986FM
Level 1
Level 1

This doesn't make any sense!

As others said, as network administrators, we might have some valid reason to set a password to ANYTHING we want.

Please reconsider this in future releases...

a1181231
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately there is no way to turn off dictionary check of password, so I think downgrading the firmware to 3.1 is the only way to fulfill what you need.

FM1986FM
Level 1
Level 1

How can we raise this to the attention of the engineering team?

This makes Zero Sense...

>...How can we raise this to the attention of the engineering team?
  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

N.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

FM1986FM
Level 1
Level 1

Bump...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X