Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the default password on CBS220

devnull09
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got a new 220-8T-E-2G switch today and came across a strange issue.

I have logged in to the WEB UI the first time and changed the default password to something non-standard.

Once I click "Save" the Web UI logs me out automatically and brings me back to the login screen.

When I then try to login with the new password just set, it does not accept the new password. I only get this error:

"Invalid user name or password. Please try again."

It also does not accept the standard user and password cisco / cisco anymore. So it must have updated the password internally, but does not allow me to login.

When resetting the switch I can login with cisco / cisco again, but obviously the issue starts from scratch again.

I have tried various passwords with and without special symbols. But even a pretty basic password with only uppercase, lowercase and numbers shows the same behaviour.

This is the device and firmware version:

Cisco CBS220-8T-E-2G 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch

Any advice what could be wrong here ? Is there a known bug in this firmware version perhaps ?

Obvisouly I can't update to a recent firmware without access to the UI.

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to reset to factory and start over again :

Look at the password guidelines : ( make sure check the keyboard layout, before changing password type same notepad is the one changing correct)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/csbss/CBS220/Adminstration-Guide/cbs-220-admin-guide/administration.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

I did a factory reset a couple of times already but that did not help.

The new password is also according to the password guidelines, which are (according to the GUI):

Please change your password from the default settings for better protection of your network
• Cannot be the same as the user name.
• Cannot be the same as the current password.
• Minimum length is 8.
• Minimum number of character classes is 3.

I used cut&paste for the password when setting as, as well as when trying to login, so keyboard layout cannot be the reason for this.

Hi Balaji

I have also tried a factory reset to no avail.

Is there a fix for this issue yet?

I have reset the password and having the exact same issue.

Thanks in advance

Aled

raise an SMB Tac case to investigate for you.

BB

Thanks BB. How does one go about raise an SMB Tac Case please?

Cheers

Aled

aled.williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Thanks for the advice on raising the SMB TAC ticket. I spoke with an engineer who advised that when being prompted to change the login credentials that it's important to change the username as well as the password. I did this and it now works!

Thanks again

Aled  

Glad all good and works as expecte, and thank you for sharing the information with us. so we mark as resolved here.

BB

RexPr
Level 1
Level 1

On the first login, you have to change not only the password but even the username. Don't use cisco as a user, change it.

Fabrizio www.rfc.it