cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IEC 61850 G00SE protocol

zappo0305
Level 1
Level 1

We're using GOOSE protocol for substation communication. The protocol is supported on Cisco Industrial switches. My understanding is that the protocol encapsulate to the Ethernet frame and is supported by IEEE, thus it should work with any Cisco switches, not just the industrial switches. Is that true?

11 Replies 11

zappo0305
Level 1
Level 1

any one?

masak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes you are right. It works on any Cisco switch. GOOSE is layer 2 multicast and will work just as well on other switches. Our industrial switches have support for typical IEC 61850 layer2 redundancy like PRP / HSR.  The enterprise-series doesn't.

Hi.

We have a problem with swithing GOOSE frames over CISCO Catalyst WS-C2960C-8TC-S Switch. Topology is very simple - GOOSE Generator -> Switch -> Host.

GOOSE Generator send L2 multicast traffic to destination 01:0c:cd:01:00:00 but host don't recieve this traffic. If we place hub instead of switch host recieve GOOSE traffic.

On switch port no errors, no drops, no runts or giants.

We try disable igmp snooping for vlan and globally, try disable switchport blocking multicast on ports - did't help.

Host successfully ping GOOSE generator.

Futrher we configure GOOSE Generator send unicast traffic where destination is MAC address of the host and even then host don't recieve GOOSE traffic !!!

We try place switch other vendor instead of cisco switch and host recieve GOOSE unicast/multicast traffic.

L2 GOOSE frame have one special characteristic is type IEC 61850/GOOSE (0x88b8).

How cisco switch 2960 may blocked GOOSE unicast/multicast traffic?

Replace CISCO ISR 881W with 4 switch ports (clear config) instead of CISCO Catalyst 2960. Host successfully receive GOOSE traffic.

Yesterday I test GOOSE Multicast in different topology (see attachment). Results are amazing!

CISCO Catalyst 2960 switch traffic differently depending on the type of device from which it receives it!

How does this happen?

Pings work everywhere between hosts devices.

Hello reall1201,

i've read that you recieve goose traffic over a cisco catalyst switch. I'm very new with Cisco and maybe i have't the experience to configure this.

When i configure the switch it wouldn't work to me. Can u Help me and explain what you did ?

Hello.
In my opinion CISCO Catalyst 2960 even with clear configuration must switch L2 multicast traffic - Link Layer Discovery Protocol, Precision Time Protocol, Cisco Discovery Protocol, GOOSE (IEC 61850) and other L2 multicast protocols - no metter, if this does not conflict with main switching rules (runts/giants frames, wrong CRC and other). I tried configure 2960:
no switchport block unicast
no switchport block multicast
switchport mode access
disable storm control
disable igmp
add static records in MAC address table
- nothing helped
Any way with clear config or with configured switch result not change (this result in last message in attachment).
I don't know why Catalyst 2960 transmit absolutely identical GOOSE traffic if traffic come from L2 switch and don't transmit if traffic come from hub.

I think that the problem is not in multicast GOOSE traffic because unicast GOOSE don't work too (ping work in all cases). And even the problem not at L2 layer because 2960 don't learn source MAC address form GOOSE traffic. I think problem in L1 but "show int fa0/1" show 0 drops/giant/runts/errors on interface.

I can't help you because I still can't understand why Cat2960 not always transmit GOOSE traffic.

I'm having the same problem. Did Someone find the solution for this?

Hello masak,

In theory you are correct it SHOULD work, but in the REAL world we have seen that non-IE series cisco switches and also the IE series drop GOOSE packages. This can be fatal to employees and equipment. The only cisco switches afaik that are certified for the IEC 61850 protocol are the IExxxx series but who is the certifying authority?  Further PRP and HSR are not IEC 61850 redundancy protocols but are defined and standardized by IEC 62439.  But the O.P. question remains - how do we in the REAL world get this fuctioning with cisco switches?

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

What does the output of following commands show:

show ip igmp groups

show ip igmp interface

BrianSekleckiGE
Level 1
Level 1

Also check the "unknown protocol drops" on the interface facing the Goose sender; possibly the vintage 2960 is ignorning the ETHERTYPE of Layer2 frames for Goose.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X