cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

introduce sg500x into sg500 stack

warren_stanley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. I've read this is supported when the stack is in hybrid mode, not found information explaining the process in this scenario however.

So, how do you introduce a sg500x-28 into an existing sg500-52P stack (3 units - native) without resetting the existing configuration?  

Current layout -  3 x SG500's are stacked as device 1 <-> cu1m(cable) <-> device 2 <-> cu1m - device 3 - cu3m back to device 1. Boot code(1.4.0.02) and firmware(1.4.1.03) is applied to existing sg500s and sg500x.

Do I change the stacking mode to hybrid (basic or advanced?) before making physical changes? Master option is still set as "auto" currently.

I'm guessing, after changing stacking mode, I can unplug the cu3m cable from device 3 and plug into to sg500x (new! - device 4), add in extra cu1m from device 3 to device 4 to complete the stack, power on device 4 and It should join successfully?

Thanks

Warren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Warren,

Answering your questions:

1. configuration

In most cases switching stack modes will delete the startup configuration file of the unit. Configuration will be retained only in the following cases:

SG500X – switching from Basic Hybrid to Advance Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

Sx500 - switching from standalone to Native or Basic Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

Sx500 - switching from Native to Basic Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

2. stacking mode hybrid advanced vs basic

native mode supports only single type of units;

hybrid mode consists of a mixture of unit types when both Sx500 and SG500X uits are placed together in the same stack

when choosing basic hybrid both Sx500 and SG500X units are used in the stack with Sx500 feature set, this means no support across the stack for VRRP, RIP. In this mode any unit type can take the master/backup-master roles. Note that in this mode, the GUI display the pages of Sx500, even if the stack master is SG500X, since the feature set is of Sx500

when choosing advanced hybrid both Sx500 and SG500X units are used in stack with SG500 feature set with the addition of VRRP, RIP and key-management. In this mode the Sx500 units can be a slave only, therefore up to 6 Sx500 units can be stacked.

3. cabling

In Hybrid mode – All units must use the DA 1G/5G ports as stacking ports.

I hope this helps.
Aleksandra

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Warren,

Answering your questions:

1. configuration

In most cases switching stack modes will delete the startup configuration file of the unit. Configuration will be retained only in the following cases:

SG500X – switching from Basic Hybrid to Advance Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

Sx500 - switching from standalone to Native or Basic Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

Sx500 - switching from Native to Basic Hybrid and unit ID is set to 1

2. stacking mode hybrid advanced vs basic

native mode supports only single type of units;

hybrid mode consists of a mixture of unit types when both Sx500 and SG500X uits are placed together in the same stack

when choosing basic hybrid both Sx500 and SG500X units are used in the stack with Sx500 feature set, this means no support across the stack for VRRP, RIP. In this mode any unit type can take the master/backup-master roles. Note that in this mode, the GUI display the pages of Sx500, even if the stack master is SG500X, since the feature set is of Sx500

when choosing advanced hybrid both Sx500 and SG500X units are used in stack with SG500 feature set with the addition of VRRP, RIP and key-management. In this mode the Sx500 units can be a slave only, therefore up to 6 Sx500 units can be stacked.

3. cabling

In Hybrid mode – All units must use the DA 1G/5G ports as stacking ports.

I hope this helps.
Aleksandra

Thanks Aleksandra

I found this out through trial and error. I did read the admin guide(s), appropriate for the boot code & firmware version, but the explanation was not as clear as you have explained here.

Hope this helps others!