cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the Cisco model SX550X-16FT a POE switch? Trick Question!

hicksj999
Level 1
Level 1

Is the Cisco model SX550X-16FT a POE switch? I checked the datasheet in this link Cisco 550X Series Stackable Managed Switches Data Sheet - Cisco  The confusing part is in the summary heading "Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) and 60W PoE", it states... "Cisco 550X Series switches support the Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) standard (IEEE 802.3at), providing up to 30 watts per port..."

My sales guy stated he ordered the same switches for several jobs, and they could use POE with no issue. I sent him the link above and told him to go down to the Product Specification, Power Over Ethernet, and SX550X-16FT is not listed as a POE model. I called the Cisco Sales guy a month or so ago and showed him the same thing, and he looked at the summary and POE model list and stated that it should do POE since Cisco's summary did not specify some switches.

I received the switch, and POE does not work, which I expected. I called and spoke to one cisco engineer, and he stated it could work, and another stated no, it is not a POE switch which I believe. 

If I am missing something, can someone from Cisco put this to bed and update their people and website. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

8 x 10 Gbps copper port are NON-POE.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

8 x 10 Gbps copper port are NON-POE.