cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Making a switching choice - Catalyst 500/520/ESW Linksys SRW/SFE

exonetinf1nity
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings would someone be able to clarrify please what direction Cisco is taking in regards to the SMB switching product line as i am starting to get somewhat confussed.

From my estimation we currently have the following available for the SMB market, agreed there is a significant price difference between some of the product lines but it appears as though the choice when choosing an appropriate switch is becoming somewhat blurred and is beginning to come down to price rather than features and or performance characteristics.

• Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Series Switches
  • Cisco Catalyst Express 520 Series Switches
  • Cisco Small Business Pro ESW 500 Series Switches
  • Cisco Small Business Managed Switches (Linksys Business Series)
  • Cisco Small Business Smart Switches (Linksys Business Series)
  • Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches

1. Can i ask if there are any plans to merge some of the product lines such as the 500 and 520 which are both similiarly priced, managed almost identically and have the same feature set.
  2. Are there plans for the ESW line to replace the existing Linksys SRW/SFE and Cisco 500/520 equivalents?
  3. Would i correct in assuming that the ESW line runs IOS Code?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mark Rigby

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gbenesch
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

Great questions.  Thanks for posting.

1. Yes, you can expect that over time the ESW 500 Series will replace the Catalyst Express Series.

2. There are no plans for the ESW 500 series to replace the SRW/SFE switches.  These product families are somewhat overlapping, but are targeted towards different types of small business customers and VAR partners.

3. You are incorrect in assuming the ESW is IOS based.  It is not.

The attached PDF provides a high-level comparison of the Cisco switches that sell into SMB.

Thanks,

Georganne

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

gbenesch
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

Great questions.  Thanks for posting.

1. Yes, you can expect that over time the ESW 500 Series will replace the Catalyst Express Series.

2. There are no plans for the ESW 500 series to replace the SRW/SFE switches.  These product families are somewhat overlapping, but are targeted towards different types of small business customers and VAR partners.

3. You are incorrect in assuming the ESW is IOS based.  It is not.

The attached PDF provides a high-level comparison of the Cisco switches that sell into SMB.

Thanks,

Georganne

Thank you for your response Georganne, it has answered all my queries.

Regards

Mark Rigby

Just had a check with our distributor, i think you guys have hit the price nail on the head specially in comparison with the 500/520 series equivalents, should make things alot easier when pushing UC520 deals.

Regards

Mark Rigby

Thanks for the good feedback Mark.

Regards,

Georganne

I tried to download the PDF (Cisco SMB Switch Positioning) and it is no longer available.  I think this might be a great document to look at.  Can you upload the PDF again or point me to a place it might be located?

Thanks!

The document still works for me however please find the file attatched.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X