cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10 Layer3 - HELP! Change default IPv4 route + Stacking 2x SG300-10 Switches

I have two issues.

First, my SG300-10's default IPv4 route keeps defaulting to the lowest numbered subnet I put on the switch. I'm using 10.xx.xx.0/24 subnets. My VLAN1 is on 10.90.90.0/24 subnet and VLAN11 is my WiFi guest access with 10.11.11.0/24 subnet. The SG300-10 keeps making 10.11.11.0/24 the default route with a "next hop" of 10.11.11.1. This is a problem as VLAN11 is locked down like crazy and cannot access anything other than restricted and filtered internet. 

How do I change the setting so that the default route and owner are subnet 10.90.90.0/24?

Second is adding a second switch to the network. Switch 1 will have ports 7&8 in a non-LACP LAG which will plug into Switch #2's ports 9&10. Do I set that switch up the same as the top level one or do I need it to have switch #1 as its "next hop"?

2 Replies 2

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Network1Operations,

First of all:

1. your SG300 switch is in layer 2 or layer 3 mode?

2. your IP address is statically or dynamically assigned? 

It looks to me you have received IP from DHCP server and this is where the default gateway is coming from...

secondly:

1. how many routing devices do you plan to have on your network? if only one, there is no need for next hope settings. 

I hope it is good start for analysis.

Aleksandra

Hello,

I have a SG300-10 and a SG300-28P that I am trying to implement currently. (I have many SG300 switches so I can use different models if that is better.) I have the SG300-10 in L3 mode and I am trying to use it as somewhat of a core switch. I would like to add the SG300-28 below it. The SG300-28P is currently also in L3 mode. 

I have two WANs a firewall and my LAN/L3 network. My firewall is plugged into ports 9&10 of the SG300-10 and my WANs are plugged into ports 7&8. That leaves 1-6. My plan was to set up a non-LACP LAGG on ports 5&6 going to my main file server (bare-metal 125TB FreeNAS server) and set up ports 3&4 as LACP link between the SG300-10 and SG300-28P, or, possibly ports 2-4 as an LACP LAGG going between the two, still doing the math on connections and data transfers. 

From there, the SG300-28P would handle most of the heavy lifting. Not sure if it should be in L2 or L3 mode. Attached to the SG300-28P will be a few L2 switches, three ESXi hosts, WAP's, a second ~100+TB file server and a a few other L2 switches with phones and other audio devices. My primary FQDN AD server is hosted on one of the ESXi hosts so the routing devices/points are all over the place with firewall handling some and AD server handling the rest. 

I was trying to use the firewall's DHCP server for the addresses on the network but when the switch pulls a dynamic IP it seems that the firmware assigns "next hop" as the lowest numbered 10-dot subnet which is an issue for my situation. 

To be clear, I am trying to use the L3 switches so that I can avoid bottlenecks by pushing all network traffic through my router/firewall. My firewall only has 2x 1GbE interfaces connected as LACP to SG300-10 however I have over 300TB combined on the network and 3x ESXi hosts with over 50 VMs. Some clients/machines easily saturate the link between the switch and the firewall creating a major bottleneck previously. I am trying to avoid the network traffic having to go back up through the firewall and stay at the L3 switch, as long as traffic is within the same subnet.