Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 combination with Apple AirPort Extreme

LASV-1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently purchased a SG300 series switch. I wish to plug my internet connection into a port on the switch and also connect my Apple AirPort Extreme into the switch. Then I want all my other switch ports to be routed by the airport. Connecting the Internet and airport to the switch gives Internet access for all wireless clients connected to it. But none of the switch ports can ping the airport. 

How can I configure this as simple as possible?

What I have done so far is to set the switch into L3 and nothing else. With nothing changed from the default settings I expected unrestricted access between ports, but this does not seem to be the case.

This is my first switch, so I expect that it's probably some simple problem.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

BR. Lars

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Lars,

I am not sure what is the idea behind of connecting WAN and LAN to SG300. Is this because you have only one  switch but would need two?

Also I am not aware how Airport works. Does do NAT?

To add static route you should navigate IP Configuration--> Management and IP interfaces-->IPv4 Routes

Destination IP should be 0.0.0.0 prefix also 0.0.0.0 if this si static route for internet access.

Regards,

Aleksandra

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi BR. Lars,

If you want this switch to do routing between VLANs you will have to ensure that all hosts default gateway is set to switch interface IP address.

If you would like those hosts to have internet access you need to set default route on the switch to point our AirPort as well as on AirPort to point out subnets/VLANs on the switch which are not directly connected to AirPort.

If you are thinking of different setup than please give us more information about logical topology.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Dear Aleksandra,

Thank you for replying.

Where do I set the default route on the switch - I use http for configuration changes.

I finally got something working now by creating a VLAN on the switch that consists of the internet port and the port that is connected to the Airport Routers WAN port. Another VLAN is connected to a LAN port on the Airport and the rest of the ports on the switch.

Best Regards,

Lars

Hi Lars,

I am not sure what is the idea behind of connecting WAN and LAN to SG300. Is this because you have only one  switch but would need two?

Also I am not aware how Airport works. Does do NAT?

To add static route you should navigate IP Configuration--> Management and IP interfaces-->IPv4 Routes

Destination IP should be 0.0.0.0 prefix also 0.0.0.0 if this si static route for internet access.

Regards,

Aleksandra