cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

smartport and voice vlan question

cisco-newb
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of setting up this switch and I have a few questions regarding the smartport and voice vlan (default tagging).

1. If I am not using any other cisco devices and not needing LLDP (and CDP) is it safe to un-check/disable those options

2. I noticed that the default vlan 1 is tagged as V for voice, if that is just a name, then I don't mind, but does the switch assume that it is voice traffic?

3. IP Phones, Access Points, and Switches are checked for smart port access.  I prefer do manually configure these options.  Not sure if I want to rely on the smartport feature.  I am sure the switch is smart, I just prefer to do it on my own, unless someone can convince me to let the switch do the tagging....?

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

The first command I run on these switches is macro auto disable. It should prevent any of the auto smartport stuff from kicking in.  

If you are using IP phones you can do voice vlan ID 100 for example and CDP and LLDP will tell the phones to use VLAN 100.  You would still tag each trunk port with VLAN 100 like:

switchport trunk vlan allowed add 100

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Thanks, I will add the 'macro auto disable' to my list of commands.  If I want to enable it, do I simply type 'no macro auto disable'?

I am not using IP phones, I assume it is possible to change vlan 1 off of V, but not sure how to do it. Can I simply delete vlan 1 and then re-create it or will the switch not like that since it is the default vlan?

Since we are talking about commands, I have a question regarding the 'do' command.  Is there something I need to do in order to not have to keep using 'do'? On the enterprise switches I have done some lab testing with, I don't ever recall using do.  Is this needed because of the minor differences between the firmware on this switch compared to the firmware on enterprise switches?

Not sure about the VLAN 1 voice VLAN thing.  I think it shouldn't affect anything though.  You can change the default VLAN and/or not use VLAN 1.  The do command works the same as regular IOS as far as I know.  However, these are not IOS switches.  They are similar, but different.  There is a CLI guide if you search for your model like "SG300 CLI guide"

I have the guide, I have only read a little in the VLAN section, but I have been messing with HP switches at work and I have used IOS cisco switches in a lab, the minor differences on this switch are throwing me a little off.  I think it is much easier to create/delete/tag/untag ports in HP switches.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, they take a little getting used to, but tab and ? still work as expected so that is good.  Also, interface range commands like: int range gi1-48 if you want to apply the same thing to a lot of ports will work.

Yeah, tab and ? are used a lot, very helpful/handy.

You mentioned "the first command I run..." what are the basic/must run commands you run and/or recommend on a brand new switch.

If you don't mind posting, I'd appreciate it.

The ones that concern me the most are/the ones I want to make sure I run are:

-enable ssh

-disable telnet

-encrypt passwords