Views
Helpful
Replies

STP configuration Steps for cisco sg250/24 ports switch

htech460647724
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I'm working with an organization that 400+ computer users. We bought cisco smart switch sg250 for purpose that will help our network avoiding the network loop. There are 6 sg250 /24 ports switch that we planned to configured as a non root switch plus the other sg250/24 ports that we plan to be configure as a root bridge sw. This is our first time using the cisco product and we want to managed each switch. 

However, it been 2 months since we use this topology but we still encounter network dropped or loop sometime and I have hard time to trace. I've also trying a figured out if I miss configured our cisco sg250 /24 port switch STP protocol.

The following steps i was went through when i configure my STP

===================================================

1. Elect root bridge

2. Place root interface into a Forwarding State

3. Each non-root switch selects it root ports

4. Removing Links choose a designated ports

5. all other ports are put in a Blocking State

I do need some extra solution for cisco sg250 /24port STP configuration in-order for my department to protect from network loop.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check this document :
            https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-250-series-smart-switches/smb5303-configure-spanning-tree-protocol-stp-on-a-switch.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce1000

Thank you for sharing that great solution. I've use that documentation before, but im kind confuse if i can apply the same STP setting provide by the url below to all my 5 non root switches or i only apply for the root bridge only. Please help. 

Any information will much appreciate. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-250-series-smart-switches/smb5303-configure-spanning-tree-protocol-stp-on-a-switch.html

thanks

- Using the bridge settings , the device with the lowest Priority will become the Root Bridge.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '