cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIp settings for replacing a Cisco 3550 switch with a SF300-24P

Fjmueller
Level 1
Level 1

I am adding the SF300-24P to an existing set of switches.  My backbone switch is a 3560.

The 3550 I am replacing has this config for each port that supports a Shoretel phone

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

mls qos trust dscp

global settings include

spaning-tree mode pvst

spanning-tree extend system-id

spanning-tree vlan 1,200 priority 28762

vlan internal allocation policy ascending

all other settings are at default

Any ideas how to replicate this on this new switch?  I added the Shoretel mac address range (00-10-49) into the Telephone OUI.  The phone gets power, I think it gets a 192.168.6.x address (local subnet), but then it should get an IP 10.6.0.xx on its VLAN - but it doesn't.

Some configs from the backbone are attached.  I did not need to configure any of this in the 3550.

Any ideas?

Fred

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi fred,

Backup to my PC should be the same as the screen capture taken on my SG300-28P as seen below.

try using wordpad to adjust the settings and then  download the configuration back to a new machine.

let me know how that works. I don't really have multiples of the same switch to try it on.

regards Dave

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi fred,

The shoretel phone sounds like it is not attaching to tagged  vlan 200 on my switch, the shortel voice vlan as per your screen captures.

The Voice VLAN should be tagged on my switch so that phones attach to a Voice VLAN and PC's connected on the back of the VoIP phones attach to  the Data Vlan .

I scoped out, excuse the pun, the shoretel site and have attached a white paper on setting vlans and shoretel.

They mention setting option 156 on the DHCP server, so the phone can get vendor specific information etc...  But the phones are not attached to the voice vlan , but the untagged data vlan.  You gotta figure how to get the shortel phones to attach to vlan 200, or if you are not daisy chaining PC on the back of the phone, make vlan 200 untagged on these FastEthernet switch ports..

I have attached my SF300-48P version of my configuration and some configuration screen shots i took along the way.

Please review carefully that attached shortel document and my screen  shots and a real configuration done on my SF300-48P.  The configuration should be almost identical to your configuration.

I added vlan 200. and made sure that all ports were in trunk mode, even the Gigabit uplink ports.

All ports by default are in VLAN1  as you can see below

I then added all ports as tagged ports to vlan 200 as you can see below.

For the sake of Spanning tree, I then made all fast ethernet (phone or PC) ports  fastports except for the uplink Gigabit ports.

If you are not sure what portfast does , here's a little tutorial I grabbed from cisco.com

Spanning-tree PortFast causes a port to enter the spanning-tree forwarding state immediately, bypassing the listening and learning states. You can use PortFast on switch ports connected to a single workstation or server to allow those devices to connect to the network immediately, instead of waiting for the port to transition from the listening and learning states to the forwarding state.

Caution PortFast should be used only when connecting a single end station to a switch port. If you enable PortFast on a port connected to another networking device, such as a switch, you can create network loops.

When the switch powers up, or when a device is connected to a port, the port normally enters the spanning-tree listening state. When the forward delay timer expires, the port enters the learning state. When the forward delay timer expires a second time, the port is transitioned to the forwarding or blocking state.

When you enable PortFast on a port, the port is immediately and permanently transitioned to the spanning-tree forwarding state.

Your tasks I guess should be , making sure that vendor specific options for the shoretel phones are included in the DHCP configuration and that you somehow attach the shortel phones (even manually) to vlan 200.

For some reason this site adds a zip extension to the end of my running configuration.  I used wordpad to look at the file 

I am using firmware version 1.0.0.27 on my unit and the userid=admin  password i used was admin

I hope this helps.

regards Dave

David,

Thanks for your help.  I did get it to work.  I think the problem revolved around truncking between my 2 vlans.  Also, I disabled the Voice Vlan feature. My backbone switch is a Cataylst 3570 and it controls VLAN assignment, so I don't think I need that.  I'm making and recieving phone calls.

FYI I caused my own problem, becuase I did not understand how to use the configure the Port to VLAN settings.  I changed the VLAN to 200, then made my changes to the ports and pressed apply.    Because I didn't select GO before making those changes, the changes (tagging) were applied to VLAN 1 instead.

Do you know how to copy a confige from one of these switches to another?  I have been able to download the config, but I don't see any upload options.  I have a few more I need to configure 99% the same way.

Fred

Hi fred,

Backup to my PC should be the same as the screen capture taken on my SG300-28P as seen below.

try using wordpad to adjust the settings and then  download the configuration back to a new machine.

let me know how that works. I don't really have multiples of the same switch to try it on.

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X