cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N set as repeater and not connected to the Gigabit Switch

reycapoy
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day.  The scenario is like this.  From the broadband modem/router connected with a  Gigabit 8 port unmanaged switch.  Then, one WAP4410N is connected to the switch, wired connection for a distance of 90 meters.  WAP4410N is set as an access point to the area.  Then the second WAP4410N will be run as a repeater to the first WAP4410N.  My question is that, can we set the second WAP4410N as a repeater, without the need for it to be connected to the switch via ethernet cable.

Thank you.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Rey Capoy,

The short answer is yes.

modem

|

|

|switch----AP1------------------------------------------------------AP2---> Wireless client

Please keep in several factors of consideration. When you repeat a signal, you will lose close to 50% throughput for each repeat with a maximum of 3 repeating. As example, if you have a 10mbit connection from AP1, you should expect around 5mbit connection when using the AP2. Also bear in mind, 90 meters is 293 feet. Although the AP can cover approximately 5000 square feet in absolutely perfect conditions without obstruction, this 90 meters is a very large distance to cover for the AP's. You will likely run in to a serious signal degradation and possibly the inability to associate AP2 to AP1.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

No, the signal strength should have minimal interference, contingent on the environment.

I would still consider the cable distance. Cat5,5e cable is rated for around 329 feet maximum. You may run in to some attenuation within the physical media. If it is at all possible, I would try to centralize the switch a bit more. Although the Cat5 cables will function the media will be subject to a bit more latency, crosstalk, EMI, etc.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

To centralize the switch, what I mean is, if it is possible to move the switch to a location where you can utilize the wiring in such a way you don't need to span nearly 300 feet for a signal piece of media.

Example:

Internet

|

|

|---Router-----100 feet-----switch------------200 feet/AP1-------30 feet/AP2

Most networks have the equipment in the same location, but perhaps it is possible to place the switch in a bit more central location to alleviate possible wire attenuation. This would significantly improve network performance if it is possible. I suppose it can be a bit tricky for a beach resort and not a lot to work with in terms of where/how to hide wires and equipment.

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Rey Capoy,

The short answer is yes.

modem

|

|

|switch----AP1------------------------------------------------------AP2---> Wireless client

Please keep in several factors of consideration. When you repeat a signal, you will lose close to 50% throughput for each repeat with a maximum of 3 repeating. As example, if you have a 10mbit connection from AP1, you should expect around 5mbit connection when using the AP2. Also bear in mind, 90 meters is 293 feet. Although the AP can cover approximately 5000 square feet in absolutely perfect conditions without obstruction, this 90 meters is a very large distance to cover for the AP's. You will likely run in to a serious signal degradation and possibly the inability to associate AP2 to AP1.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.  The 90 meters that is being mentioned is the distance from the unmanaged gigabit switch to the first AP.  Then the second AP is just around 10 meters maximum from the first AP. Would this greatly affect the signal?

Thanks.

No, the signal strength should have minimal interference, contingent on the environment.

I would still consider the cable distance. Cat5,5e cable is rated for around 329 feet maximum. You may run in to some attenuation within the physical media. If it is at all possible, I would try to centralize the switch a bit more. Although the Cat5 cables will function the media will be subject to a bit more latency, crosstalk, EMI, etc.

Hi Thomas,

Actually this place is a beach resort.  The owner doesn't want dangling cables around those mini bars around his resort.  That is why he needs to have one cable running from the switch down to one house there. In that house the first AP will be installed. Then adjacent to the house are two mini bars. The first mini bar is in between the house and the second mini bar. The second AP will be installed to the second mini bar. Chances are the first mini bar will be a somewhat block the signal from the house to the second mini bar. But since the distance from the house to the mini bar is just a maximum of 10 meters only.

By the way. may I ask if what do you mean on centralizing the switch?

Thanks.

To centralize the switch, what I mean is, if it is possible to move the switch to a location where you can utilize the wiring in such a way you don't need to span nearly 300 feet for a signal piece of media.

Example:

Internet

|

|

|---Router-----100 feet-----switch------------200 feet/AP1-------30 feet/AP2

Most networks have the equipment in the same location, but perhaps it is possible to place the switch in a bit more central location to alleviate possible wire attenuation. This would significantly improve network performance if it is possible. I suppose it can be a bit tricky for a beach resort and not a lot to work with in terms of where/how to hide wires and equipment.

Hi Thomas,

We will try to explain this to the client in terms of the benefit in putting the switch in a central location.  But I appreciate so much what you have shared to us.

Thank you very much.

Have a nice day.

Here is a better way without loosing any speed.

At the remote location from the access point, use a wap4410n in client mode to connect wirelessly to the first access point. Then connect a third wap4410n teathered to the second wap4410n as a access point.
You can use this repeating method as many times as necessary
Make sure you set the third wap4410n to filter MAC S SO YOU DON'T END UP WITH A LOOP

Eg
Gateway ----router-----wap4410n Wirelessly connects to wap4410n -------- wap4410n Then wirelessly to the next wap4410n ---teathered--- to Wap4410n. And so on

You can keep going on and on without loosing speed

Make sure all ssid are the same but on different channels using same security.

Then no matter where you are in the building all people see is one ssid, and connect to the strongest signal

I've done it. Works well.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X