cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9200L Stack ring splits

jasonmeyer
Beginner
Beginner

I have a stack of 6 switches that on occasion the stack ring will split into 1 and 5. Running show switch gave me one member as ready and the others as removed. When I would try to console into one of the others, it was unresponsive or was in straggler mode. They are running 17.03.03. Is there a recommended version I should upgrade them to?

12 REPLIES 12

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame Expert Hall of Fame Expert
Hall of Fame Expert

Hi,

I recommend that you open a ticket with Cisco, as this issue possibly is a bug in the OS you are running. Cisco will provide a version you should upgrade to.

HTH

marce1000
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

- Configure a syslog-server , then look at the logging received when all of that weird stuff starts happening.

M.

have any recommendations for an open source syslog server?

nvm, kiwi seems to be pretty highly regarded.

jasonmeyer
Beginner
Beginner

OK I have Kiwi syslog setup and configured on the stack to send to it. Thanks for the suggestions.

N-Chan
Beginner
Beginner

Hello Jason,

These might be silly questions but how are your Stacking cables wired? Are they tightly secured in the back?

Are there any errors messages when you have your console cable in the other stack?

See if you can diagnose with "show switch stack-ports" (optional: summary; detail)

They are tightly-secured and all ports are active.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

Please post the complete output to the following commands (especially from the straggler): 

1. sh version
  2. dir flash:
  3. dir flash:core
  4. dir crashinfo:

Remember, I want to see the above output from the stack and from the straggler unit.

Thats the thing, 5 out of the 6 switches in the stack go to straggler mode. Got the stack sending logs to a syslog server now, so hopefully I will catch it next time it happens.

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

@jasonmeyer wrote:
Got the stack sending logs to a syslog server now, so hopefully I will catch it next time it happens.

Look for the outputs I have requested.  Those file(s) are all stored in each member of the stack. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: