cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use CBS350-24P-4X 10G SPF+ ports as regular ports?

bwv656
Level 1
Level 1

I am interested in purchasing CBS350-24P-4X. And I noticed that it comes with 4x 10G SPF+ ports. Can I use those 10G SPF+ uplink ports as regular switching ports?

For example, if we have 4 iMacs with 10G ethernet ports, can we use the 10G SPF+ uplink ports to switch data between 4 iMacs? we don't have many 10G capable devices so I don't think we will need more than 4. Do you recommend this setup? And does it have any limitations like not being able to put 10g ports on VLANs or something...?

Basically, I want to find out if those uplink ports are just for expanding your network with more switches or if I can use it as regular 10G switch ports.

As you can see from my questions, I am a beginner so I'd very much appreciate any info on this. Thank you so much!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, these Ports can be used as "regular" ports. The only problem is that you need a 10G Copper SFP+ module that works in this switch. There is no supported one on the data-sheet so you would have to try 3rd party modules without a guarantee that it will work.

I would look for a Switch with some Multi-Gig interfaces. These are Copper by default and you can be sure that they will work in your environment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Yes, these Ports can be used as "regular" ports. The only problem is that you need a 10G Copper SFP+ module that works in this switch. There is no supported one on the data-sheet so you would have to try 3rd party modules without a guarantee that it will work.

I would look for a Switch with some Multi-Gig interfaces. These are Copper by default and you can be sure that they will work in your environment.

Thank you so much for the valuable info, Karsten.
I see that there are 3rd party transceivers available here with mixed reviews.

But I still need 20+ 1G ports and the price difference between the 4G and 4X 10G models aren't too big. I will still get the 4X switch and try those 3rd party transceivers.

Thanks again for your help!!!

kolping-mw
Level 1
Level 1

I took these receivers out of my infrastructure because they get very (!) hot. You even can't hold them very long with plain fingers directly after plugging out. Just as an additional information.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: