cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco catalyst IOS backup

kumarpmt83
Level 1
Level 1

How to backup and upgrade a IOS image in cisco Switch.

Any one pls send the procedure.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How to backup and upgrade a IOS image in cisco Switch.

What is the model of your switch?

Hi Dinesh,

What I understand is that you want to take backup copy of your existing IOS from switch and upload new IOS image.

To backup your IOS...

#copy flash: tftp:
Source filename []? c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE.bin
Address or name of remote host []? 10.39.2.6
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To upgrde new IOS...

#copy tftp: flash:
Address or name of remote host []? 10.37.250.3
Source filename []? c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE.bin
Destination filename [#copy]? c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE.bin
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the copy from tftp server to switch flash
Then point boot system with new ios image to boot from next reload like below

#boot system flash c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE.bin --->in config mode.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

cisco 2960

Ok, to backup the IOS of the 2960, you have but two choices.

1.  Easy:  Go to the Cisco website and download the exact version of IOS found in your 2960 switch.  This way you download the complete TAR file and not just the BIN file.

2.  Not that easy:  Presume that your TFTP server is up and running, you need to go into the subdirectory of the IOS found in your flash.  The command to go into the subdirectory is:  cd flash:.  Once you've done this, issue the command "dir" and you'll see a file with the extension BIN.  This is what you need to copy into your TFTP server.  Issue the command "copy flash:.BIN tftp:///".

To upgrade the IOS to your switch, you must make sure that you have enough space to put a new IOS in.  Go to the Cisco website and download the IOS version and make sure you have the file that has an extension "TAR".

To "copy" the new IOS into the switch and overwrite (or erase) the old IOS, use the command:

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp:///.tar

Hope this helps.

Angus Bishop
Level 1
Level 1

HI Dhinesh ,

inorder to backup the image from the device you need to follow the below process .

1> identify  the image from the flash  ( use show flash: command to list the files in the flash :  )

2> Set up a TFTP server

3> From the device copy the image to the tftp ( copy flash: tftp: ) provide the  filename and the tftp ip address when prompted .

4> The image will get copied to the TFTP .

NOte:  in case if you get timed out error please verify the firewall settings . I recomend you to use tftpd32 which is a good software which doesnot have a limitationof 32 mb .

Regards

Angus

Please dont forget to rate usefull post ........

dgrossi0914
Level 1
Level 1

I can't find anything related to my problem and this is the closest thing to it. My Problem is that I bought an ASR-1001 Aggregation Router from Newegg to do MPLS for studying for CCIE, but it didn't include IOS on the Router. Therefore I can't do anything useful with it either, but I know it works because it boots to rommon or recovery console or whatever it's called. Cisco just told me to go to this community forum, but it won't let me post my question and it just lets me view other people posts to see if I can find a match. I think it's dumb to because I can't find a match and they expect me to search through all the posts matching my question, which is "How Do I get IOS for my Cisco Catalyst 6503-Enhanced Campus Switch? and I could be looking for years on here trying to search through all these questions! No Thank you Cisco and go screw yourselves because that's what Cisco did to me was screw me over as a customer and student studying Cisco for my bachelors as well as for CCIE after I get the CCNA cert and the CCNP cert.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card