Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Relay not working

manuelrq1980
Level 1
Level 1

Hi people!

I'm starting my CCENT and I'm stuck with DHCP relay. I'm following a CCENT certification course from LinkedIn.

I have also Packet Tracer 7.3 and I can't make a switch to take any IP on Vlan 1, following step by step instructions in the course.

I don't know if it's something that is not supported in Packet Tracer or something I'm doing wrong but it's driving me crazy because I can't see the error anywhere :/

I have attached a .zip with the .pkt I'm working on and the .pdf with the exercises in the course (currently i'm in Router Lab)

The console password is "console" and the privileged pass is "cisco" 

Thanks in advance for the help :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

you have no routing between your routers. For the sake of simplicity, I have added OSPF. Find attached the revised file...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

you have no routing between your routers. For the sake of simplicity, I have added OSPF. Find attached the revised file...

Hi Georg,

Sorry, big newbie here :) What I don't understand is why there was no routing between them.

I just checked the config and saw that, as you told, you replaced the routing protocol to OSPF instead of RIP, so I guess OSPF is better than RIP, right?

Sorry for being rude (not to you) but it's fu****ng frustrating that you follow a course that is supposed to be for the basic Cisco certification and you follow the steps and it doesn't work. How can it be possible at all??? It is supposed that if I follow the steps it will works as it's directly shown in the videos... I don't understand :/ 

Anyway, how could I do it with RIP? Because during the course only RIP is considered for autorouting so far.

Thanks a lot for the answer :)

Hello,

instead of OSPF you could use RIP as well. If you configure the below on all three routers, that should accomplish the same thing. The reason I used OSPF is that I found that RIP sometimes is very slow to converge in Packet Tracer (which is solely a Packet Tracer issue):

router rip

version 2

network 0.0.0.0

Thank you for your suggestion, but in this specific scenario, it is required that the green and blue areas communicate with each other(LX and SW). Therefore, to accomplish this, we must configure the dynamic routing protocol OSPF and use area 0 as the backbone area.

While RIP may be a viable option in some cases, it is not appropriate for this specific network design requirement. OSPF is the recommended protocol for this scenario as it offers faster convergence and better scalability, especially in larger networks.

I hope this clarifies the reasoning behind choosing OSPF over RIP in this particular case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card