Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM Set Syslog message to variables

TobiasF
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone, 

I need to get the IP Address and The Hostname into 2 different variables. 
I've got something like this: 

event manager applet AddHostnameToIPHost
event syslog pattern "DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR (.*) -> '(.*).tobi.local.'"
action 1.0 syslog msg "Match1 is $match1"
action 1.1 syslog msg "Match2 is $match2"
etc(...)

The Message i've taken it from is: 
DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR 10.0.0.151 -> 'WINTOBIASTEST.tobi.local.'

The IP-Address and Hostname is what i need.. But without any sucess.
Can you maybe help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EEM should look like this example.  When the data is parsed out what do you want to do with it?

action 010 regexp "DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+) -> '([A-Z]+)" "$_syslog_msg" match IP HOST
 action 020 syslog msg "ip = $IP and host = $HOST"

test

INTERNET#send log DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR 10.0.0.151 -> 'WINTOBIASTEST.tobi.local.'
INTERNET#
*May  6 19:36:46.405: %SYS-7-USERLOG_DEBUG: Message from tty0(user id: dafrey): DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR 10.0.0.151 -> 'WINTOBIASTEST.tobi.local.'
INTERNET#
*May  6 19:36:46.425: %HA_EM-6-LOG: AddHostnameToIPHost: ip = 10.0.0.151 and host = WINTOBIASTEST
INTERNET#

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

EEM should look like this example.  When the data is parsed out what do you want to do with it?

action 010 regexp "DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+) -> '([A-Z]+)" "$_syslog_msg" match IP HOST
 action 020 syslog msg "ip = $IP and host = $HOST"

test

INTERNET#send log DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR 10.0.0.151 -> 'WINTOBIASTEST.tobi.local.'
INTERNET#
*May  6 19:36:46.405: %SYS-7-USERLOG_DEBUG: Message from tty0(user id: dafrey): DHCPD: Updating 'PTR' RR 10.0.0.151 -> 'WINTOBIASTEST.tobi.local.'
INTERNET#
*May  6 19:36:46.425: %HA_EM-6-LOG: AddHostnameToIPHost: ip = 10.0.0.151 and host = WINTOBIASTEST
INTERNET#

Hi Dan,

Hi Tobias,

my regex skills are a little bit rusty, but could it do this to find the IP address as well?

\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}

and to get all kind of Hostname I would do this

-> ([A-Za-z0-9\-_]+)

TobiasF
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Dan, 

thanks for your response. I am looking foward to take those variables and put them into a static iphost entry, everytime a new Device gets an IP over DHCP, and delete an entry when a device is releasing an IP.
We dont have a DNS Server in this Network, and are not looking to implement one. The client devices need to communicate over hostnames with each other. I will try your idea a share the answer as soon as i get to it. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card