cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello I need your help with this problem.

We have this DS-C9148S-12PK9 switch that has been left with all the lights on the fixed ports in orange and the STATUS led in fixed red. From the switch, when I access via Putty it shows:
Device 0: Model: UB30STC4000CZ7-BTB-GBY Firm: 100511h Ser#: UNIGEN3 300601 88
Type: Hard Disk
Capacity: 3924.7MB = 3.8GB (8037792 x 512)
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...

Booting image bootflash://m9100-s5ek9-kickstart-mz.6.2.13.bin Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
* Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 0:4 *
loading image failed, 1
Booting image bootflash://m9100-s5ek9-mz.6.2.13.bin Failed to mount ext2 fil esystem..
* Bad ext2 partition or disk - ide 0:4 *
loading image failed, 1
loader>
And it stays till there. 

I have several question,  and would appreciate it if anyone can help me.

1. Apparently the disk has broken down. can it be easily replaced? Does licenses keep them even if this part is replaced?
  2. Can you boot the computer from a TFTP without loading data on the hard drive?
  3. Is there a command from Putty that can report to me what kind of licenses you have installed so you can retrieve them?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 Replies 2

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello jaredondoc 

Thank you for your question, unfortunately if the device is in that condition you wouldn't let me see that it contains the flash, so the issue of licenses, it would be nice for you to check the purchase sheet.

To retrieve the device you can do it as mentioned from a USB and format the flash.

Step 1 Download the IOS from the following Link https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286253217/type/282088130/release/8.4(2d)

Step 2, Boot from a tftp or USB

Loader > boot tftp://a.b.c.d/m9100-s5ek9-kickstart-mz.8.4.2d.bin

Loader > boot usb:m9100-s5ek9-kickstart-mz.8.4.2d.bin

Step 3, Try to format the flash once in the IOS

# format bootflash:

# system health check bootflash

# system health check bootflash fix-errors

If the problem persists, it would be a replacement of the device.

Greetings,

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello gtrejoor

I haven't seen your answer so far.

Right, as you said, I just got to get all the data from the Flash from a USB adapter and thanks to HIrens.

i already knew the software installation steps, which when i install kickstart already told me to format the flash.

Everything was perfect with the new flash and the client was able to completely recover the functional and operational equipment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card