Views
Helpful
Replies

got connection error when doing Microsoft Autopilot enrollment

seanxiao
Level 1
Level 1

issue:
when doing Microsoft Autopilot Enrollment task sequence, it either shows error "Oops,you've lost internet connect" though I can at the same time ping the internet sites, or takes a very long time (like, 30 minutes or more ) to finish the autopilot enrollment task sequence.

if you click on retry, 99% chance it will show the error again. If you are lucky to get through it, it takes long time to finish the task sequence, or sometimes it just throw some other error during the task sequences.

oops.PNG

topology
 - 2 cisco 6500 series as VSS.
 - 2 Fortigate FW as cluster, working in primary and secondary mode. FW1 is the primary, and basically FW2 will not bear any   workload when FW1, the primary role, is working.
 - all access switch are connected with vss via port-channel

- MPLS router  is for WAN traffic to other branches. Autopilot is under Internet so there is Internet Router to ISP.

top.png

what we did:
1, asked Fortigate team to assign a physical port, port 1, from FW1 and set up DHCP under port 1, then connect a laptop or desktop for Microsoft Autopilot Enrollment to port 1, and it works very quickly, like, within 10 minutes. So, the network connection from FW to MS is OK.
2, created a vlan type interface, say, vlan 404, on FW1, then trunk 404 to cisco VSS, then to Access switch. And put some interfaces on Access switch to access VLAN 404 (subnet is 10.80.4.0/24). Then connect laptops for Autopilot Enrollment to the access swithports, and we got the error "Oops,you've lost internet connect" when it is detecting the Internet connection but, if I call the command window using Fn + F10 when the error occurs, I can ping all the same sites that I tried when connecting laptop to port 1 on FW.

I noticed https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/autopilot/networking-requirements mentioned how Autopilot detects Internet connection, and yes the laptop is able to ping msftncsi.com or msftconnecttest.com when the error shows up.

why we put the gateway of VLAN 404 to FW, and ustilize the DHCP from FW, not like the other VLANs? because we want to bypass as much LAN infra as much as we can. Gateway and DHCP for VLAN 404 from FW works very well. And there is very little configuration about VLAN 404 on core VSS and access switch, they  are layer 2 transparent .

FW policy
I created a policy to allow all the traffic coming from VLAN 404 to ALL, applied no security profile on the traffic, and I do see the traffic hit the policy as expected.
And, the traffic from physical port 1 on FW is within the same firewall policy as traffic from VLAN 404.

policy.PNG

Workaround

It is  critical to deploy laptops so we have another dedicated ISP router (like home router) which is totally isolated from our LAN infra, which is working as a workaround. We cannot stay in data center to use the port 1 on FW for the whole deployment .But we do need to investigate why errors occur. Can someone please give us any tips, THANKS  A LOT! 

since the configuration file is too big, so I did not attach any configuration, if it is needed for troubleshooting, let me know I will try to attach it here.

12 Replies 12

Hello,

apparently all you need is the below:

- Ensure Domain Name Services (DNS) name resolution for internet DNS names.
- Allow access to all hosts via port 80 (HTTP), 443 (HTTPS), and 123 (UDP/NTP).

80 and 443 should be obvious, can you check if your firewall(s) do anything with NTP ?

Thanks Georg,

yes Fortigate provide NTP options when set up DHCP. But I've already allow ALL service destined for internet in FW policy.

As mentioned in the post, lapotops connected to the physical port 1 on FW works very well. 

I compared the NTP settings between the VLAN type interface and physical port 1, they are the same.

and client from VLAN 404 can access the DNS servers listed below, I've already created the policy to allow the DNS traffic.

NTP.PNG

Hello,

tough one. Obviously something is in the way. For the sake of testing, can you use the time servers below (instead of the default Fortigate NTP) ?

time.google.com

time1.google.com

time2.google.com

sorry google.com won't work in China. Can I use my local NTP server?

Hello,

can you reach these ?

server 0.cn.pool.ntp.org
server 1.cn.pool.ntp.org
server 2.cn.pool.ntp.org
server 3.cn.pool.ntp.org

I will use time.windows.com and set timezone according to my real timezone and try. Is this OK?

please advise and thanks a lot!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what @Georg Pauwen mentioned.

1. Compare always working vs not working.

2. when you directly connected to FW it works as expeced ( what IP address you got it ?)

check the ipconfig /all note down all the information - do the traceroute to destination site and note the content.

3. when you mentioned VLAN 404 - this Gateway was Located in FW - So have you monitor the Logs in Fortigate is there any thing Blocking - based on one of the device trying to auto pilot process ?

ipconfig /all and traceroute can help you  and compare with working one.

4. as you mentioned its working Port1 FW and Layer 2 VLAN extended - i do not see any major difference here.

5. unless if your switches have any ACLs involved 

6. its good to have configuration for us to review (remove any password information and post here if you can both access switch and vss).

7. Instead of Access switch - have you tried directly connecting Laptop to VSS switch test it- what is the outcome ?

8 compare the logs working vs not working using MS troubleshoot tips.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/remote-actions/collect-diagnostics

9. if possible you can also use Wireshark and troubleshoot what is wrong.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

thanks for your kind help.

connecting to VSS to test is a good way to narrow down.

I can ping to the sites on laptop when the error shows up. The result of traceroute to the same site are the same from laptop connected to FW port 1 and laptop connected to switch port on VLAN 404..

speaking of the ACL, I see some by issuing show ip access-lists, but they are not shown in show running-configure, then I red https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/access-list-not-showing-on-show-running-config/td-p/4180156, it something is not affecting my case I think.

Extended IP access list ACL-SNMP-RO
10 permit udp host 10.250.7.164 any eq snmp
20 permit udp host 10.74.12.14 any eq snmp
30 permit udp host 10.250.14.11 any eq snmp
40 permit udp host 10.80.131.22 any eq snmp
Extended IP access list CISCO-CWA-URL-REDIRECT-ACL
100 deny udp any any eq domain
101 deny tcp any any eq domain
102 deny udp any eq bootps any
103 deny udp any any eq bootpc
104 deny udp any eq bootpc any
105 permit tcp any any eq www
Extended IP access list preauth_ipv4_acl (per-user)

10 permit udp any any eq domain
20 permit tcp any any eq domain
30 permit udp any eq bootps any
40 permit udp any any eq bootpc
50 permit udp any eq bootpc any
60 deny ip any any

Tried to use wireshark but the traffic comes overwhelmingly like flood, it soon jammed my laptop .. I am not able to see any difference between the scenarios.

Not sure where this ACL applied - may be in general ACL applied - where do you see this ACL ? in CORE switch or Access switch ?

orry google.com won't work in China. Can I use my local NTP server?

sure you can use your fortinet as NTP Server.

you can setup as local :

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Configuring-a-FortiGate-unit-as-a-NTP-server/ta-p/190313

or use : https://www.ntppool.org/en/zone/cn

BB

I want to use time.windows.com and set the timezone according to my real timezone, does it make sense?

please advise , thanks a lot!

sure as long as it has time source.

BB

seanxiao
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, just for update:

our office 365 team told it is related to the dongle we use. need to use the recommended dongle whose driver has already been injected during the SCCM, otherwise the network will be dropped randomly both at the SCCM imaging stage and Autopilot stage.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card