Views
Helpful
Replies

how to replace Active SUP Engine in 6500 chassis

hashimwajid1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi 

we have Cat 6500 chassis with 2 x SUP engine configured as active and standby with SSO enable. for some reason we want to replace Active Sup engine with new SUP engine. i am not much familiar with Sup Engine so i need some guidance. 

Sup engine model VS-S720-10G

current IOS 12.8

i want to know what step should be taken in order to replace the Active Sup engine. like how to upgrade/downgrade IOS in new Sup before inserting and the procedure of replacement. 

switch is in production environment  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

how i will find that what is ios installed in new Sup or it comes without any IOS ?

The new sup will come with an IOS. Hard to tell what version but most likely newer than what you have installed. The only way yo know is by loading into the box and console to it. 

if my new Sup IOS is 15.0 and current Active Sup IOS is 12.8 then should i insert new sup directly without downgrade it or need to downgrade first ?

I would say upgrade to whatever version is newer. So, if the new one comes with 15 then you want to upgrade the old one 15 as well.  follow the config on how to upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/issu_efsu.html

i dont know how to downgrade it ( is there any specific steps to downgrade or it will automatically downgrade or upgrade

I would just upgrade and not downgrade since the current IOS is pretty old.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are the current sups configured in SSO mode?

can you post the output of "sh redundancy"?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/71585-cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.html

HTH

Hi Reza

sh redundant output is attached. we want to replace the current active sup only 

Ok, the output looks good.

So, you need to use this command redundancy force-switchover to switchover to the backup sup. Once the backup sup takes over, you can then replace the old active sup.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SY/configuration/guide/sy_swcg/stateful_switchover.html

HTH

Hi Reza 

thanks for reply 

just for clarification

1-IOS on both SUP should be same then  how i will find that what is ios installed in new Sup or it comes without any IOS ?

2-if my new Sup IOS is 15.0 and current Active Sup IOS is 12.8 then should i insert new sup directly without downgrade it or need to downgrade first ?

3-i dont know how to downgrade it ( is there any specific steps to downgrade or it will automatically downgrade or upgrade )

Hi,

how i will find that what is ios installed in new Sup or it comes without any IOS ?

The new sup will come with an IOS. Hard to tell what version but most likely newer than what you have installed. The only way yo know is by loading into the box and console to it. 

if my new Sup IOS is 15.0 and current Active Sup IOS is 12.8 then should i insert new sup directly without downgrade it or need to downgrade first ?

I would say upgrade to whatever version is newer. So, if the new one comes with 15 then you want to upgrade the old one 15 as well.  follow the config on how to upgrade:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/issu_efsu.html

i dont know how to downgrade it ( is there any specific steps to downgrade or it will automatically downgrade or upgrade

I would just upgrade and not downgrade since the current IOS is pretty old.

HTH

thanks for detailed clarification 

if i upgrade the IOS in current Active and standby Sup then do this activity will required any downtime or i can upgrade without any downtime ? 

Hi,

Since you are replacing one of sups, then I would not upgrade now and do it after the sup replacement.

Once the sup is replaced upgrade the IOS to the same level as the new sup.  Usually, you should be able to do upgrade one sup at a time using the config guide I posted.

HTH

i got it 

if i insert new sup then will it show any IOS mismatch error ?  

thanks for clarification 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card