Views
Helpful
Replies

How to save running-config to a text file

MKCHAURASIA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I manage lot of router and switch my problem is before I do any changes to configuration file I want to save a copy of it

if I do sh run using putty it just displays one page worth of information and I have to do copy paste one page at a time

is there any easier method to copy paste entire running config to a text file ?

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Manish,

use

enable session> logging in putty using connection properties

then

term len 0

sh run

in this way all the file is placed without need to press for next page

then you stop logging and you have your file.

to have again pages type:

term len 25

putty saves an header with date and time at the beginning after that you have clean text file.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

This worked very well

Thank you for the information, Giuseppe - it was precisely what I needed (5 years after you posted it :).

-Scott

thanks

@Wassim Aouadi wrote:

thanks

Hi: Do you know how to pull a startup and running config for CISCO Catalyst 3850 24 Port GE SFP IP Base Switch? Can you tell me how and how to upload it to a new Switch?

Thank you Giuseppe Larosa !! - by far the easiest and fastest solution I've seen so far.  No need to set up TFTP or copying and pasting all over the show.  You have saved me a lot of time today smiley

Hi,

Unfortunately, the command term len 0 didn't work for me on an ASA 5516x.  I had to do the following, after turning on logging in Putty:

enable

config t

pager line 1000

sh run

pager line 24

This puts the ASA into enable mode, config terminal mode, sets the number of lines between page breaks to 1000, runs the show running config and then resets the number of lines back to 24.  It worked well for me!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another option would be to send either the startup or running config to a TFTP, FTP or RCP server. The file will be text, although believe sequence of LFCR confuses Windows' Notepad but Wordpad renders it correctly.

ahmed.khalid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you use secure crt

go to file then click on log session then save the file with .txt extension

thay way your config file will be saved in text format

hope that helps

Driss BENATTOU
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You can tray to use this commande :

Router# terminal length 0

Driss BENATTOU
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You can tray to use this commande :

Router# terminal length 0

You can also use the following command from command prompt:

telnet -f fileName.txt x.x.x.x(IP)

Now everything that you do during this telnet session will be recorded in fileName.txt.

thanks Mohamad Qayoom

👍👍

lscarbor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello MKCHAURASIA

If you are wondering how to copy your save running-config to a text file, my best suggestion would be to copy the outcome of the command line (via the CLI) and then open notepad and past the config there. Afterward, you can obviously save it to the desired folder!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Tish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco