Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacked Catalyst 9200 upgrade to 16.12.04

Hi Everyone,

I am driving myself a little bit mad on this one. I am planning an IOS 16.12.04 upgrade (from 16.12.02) on two stacked Catalyst 9200 switches. These switches are located in Germany (I am located in England) so I need to make sure nothing goes wrong. The upgrade deadline is approaching and I am not sure if I am am planning this correctly. I found the document below which looked good but I realised this doesn't mention a stack anywhere apart form the boot flash stage "If your switches are configured with auto boot, then the stack will automatically boot up with the new image. If not, you can manually boot flash:packages.conf".

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9200.html

My senior colleague said that I need to make sure I upload and set the secondary switch to use the new version as well but as far as I can see this is not mentioned in the above document. Can I use the above document instructions and only install the new IOS on the master switch after which it replicates the new image to the slave switch when that is rebooted?

Kind Regards,

Michael Borg

31 Replies 31

Hell, Leo, thank you for the info. I really didn't know much about the difference. I guess this difference is only present in the 9200 model switches.

Found an interesting article describing the differences and how to switch from a mode to the other.https://content.cisco.com/chapter.sjs?uri=/searchable/chapter/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/Denali_16-1/ConfigExamples_Technotes/Config_Examples/Misc/qos/m_install_vs_bundle.html.xml

Just to be sure, can you please confirm there will be no operation problem with the Bundle mode?

Regards,

Moussa

@moussa2097 wrote:
can you please confirm there will be no operation problem with the Bundle mode?

I won't confirm anything in Bundle Mode.  

All my deployments are in Install Mode.  I cannot-and-will-not guarantee anything that is running in Bundle Mode.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card