cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch firmware upgrade and smart licensing

afreeman
Level 1
Level 1

I'll soon be upgrading the firmware on several C9200L-24T-4X with 16.12.4 and several WS-C3850-24XS with 16.9.5 to the newest versions that are stable.  These switches are all in a network that is offline, and has (as far as I know) no method to reach the outside world for smart licensing.

I don't know how these switches were initially licensed, but the smart licensing requirement has me a little concerned.  If I upgrade the 9200 from 16.12.4 to 17.9.5, will that change the licensing requirement?  

If I upgrade the 3850 from 16.9.5 to 16.12.11, will that change the licensing requirement?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know how these switches were initially licensed, but the smart licensing requirement has me a little concerned.  If I upgrade the 9200 from 16.12.4 to 17.9.5, will that change the licensing requirement?  

You can convert your PAK license to Smart License also.

16.8.X onwards already smart License, so upgrading to 17.9.5 nothing going to change.

If I upgrade the 3850 from 16.9.5 to 16.12.11, will that change the licensing requirement?

as i mentioned above not much going to change.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

O/T:  Have you tested 17.9.5 for the last, say, 3 months?  

If you have not had 3 months of uptime on 17.9.X, I strongly recommend staying as far away from it as possible.  

From what I can see, even the precious "gold star" has been removed from 17.9.5 (Catalyst 9300) and I would not be surprised if gold star will get reinstated to version 17.9.3!

Thank you for the warning, Leo.  I am already leery of such a big version leap.

Thank you, Balaji.  I appreciate the clarification.  If these are both already smart-licensed, then that definitely makes part of my task easier.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know how these switches were initially licensed, but the smart licensing requirement has me a little concerned.  If I upgrade the 9200 from 16.12.4 to 17.9.5, will that change the licensing requirement?  

You can convert your PAK license to Smart License also.

16.8.X onwards already smart License, so upgrading to 17.9.5 nothing going to change.

as i mentioned above not much going to change.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card