Views
Helpful
Replies

Update a Stack of c9500

JoaoLeca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a stack of 2 switches cisco c9500-16x. I want to update de firmware version from the 16.9.5 to the 17.6.5.

1)What is the best update path?

2)Can I just go to the new version directly?

3)Can I update 1 switch and then update the other so I don't have any down time?

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this is part of the Stackwise Virtual  -

You can directly go 17.6.5 (read the release notes any caveats effect your environment) - May it upgraded to ROMMON part of upgrade.

Always take and config back up out of the box, so you can compare any issue after upgrade not working ?

release notes :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9500/software/release/17-6/release_notes/ol-17-6-9500.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Before trying ISSU you have to check the ISSU upgrade path. In you case it won't work. With ISSU there is no path from 16.9.5 to 17.6.5. So I would go with the classic install method, and you can do it directlly, but you will have some downtime.

DanielP211_0-1692961395066.png
The process is as follows. 
Copy the image to bootflash, using a USB/TFTP.
And use the following command.
install add file bootflash:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.03.07.SPA.bin activate commit

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

JoaoLeca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello sorry for my delay awnsering.

One of the switches on the stack is not booting up. Im considering doing a factory reset on that switch and then add it again to the switch. If i do that this way will I have any downtime?

One of the switches on the stack is not booting up

Do you have any Logs ? as long as you have dual connectivity to end device, and you mentioned not working (so might be stuck at ROMMON - console and check the status)

Sure you can build - make sure switch number are correct. (the one not working sure was primary or secondary)

how to build SVL :

https://www.balajibandi.com/?p=931

BB

JoaoLeca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Sorry for being late to awnser I had some time to search but nothing came up. This is what happens when I try to boot.

boot: attempting to boot from [flash:packages.conf]
boot: reading file packages.conf
#
###################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

Sep 2 13:04:36.397: %PMAN-5-EXITACTION: C0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting:
exitr
exit
end
reload
Sep 2 13:04:46.737: %PMAN-3-PROCHOLDDOWN: R0/0: pman: The process platform_mgr has been helddown (rc 134)
Sep 2 13:04:46.775: %PMAN-0-PROCFAILCRIT: R0/0: pvp: A critical process platform_mgr has failed (rc 134)
Sep 2 13:04:46.810: %PMAN-3-RELOAD_RP: R0/0: pvp: Reloading: Switch will be reloaded

Chassis 1 reloading, reason - Non participant detected
Sep 2 13:04:48.872: %PMAN-5-EXITACTION: F0/0: pvp: Process manager is exiting: reload fp action requested
Sep 2 13:04:50.205: %PSep 2 13:04:50.882: %PMAN-3-PROCESS_NOTIFICATION: R0/0: pvp: System report /crashinfo/system-report_local_20230902-130450-Universal.tar.gz (size: 1807 KB) generated

Initializing Hardware...

System Bootstrap, Version 16.12.2r, RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)
Compiled Wed 10/23/2019 16:35:17.50 by rel

Current ROMMON image : Primary
Last reset cause : CpuReset
C9500-16X platform with 16777216 Kbytes of main memory

I then made a USB boot flash to see if it was a corrupted software image. But the outcome was the same.

This switch doesn't boot up and I cant change the dirrectories.

switch: copy usbflash0:cat9k_iosxe.16.09.05.SPA.bin flash:user/packages.conf
Write access to "flash:" unsupported.
Unsupported destination device/filesystem.

Just want some clarification :

is the switch still connected to SVL Links ?

is other switch upgraded to New IOS XE ?

if other switch upgrae to latest IOS XE  - then Isolate the switch having issue, removing all the Links and try to Upgrade - is this work ?

Can you post show version from the Primary switch ?

BB

JoaoLeca
Level 1
Level 1

He is configured in a SVL Link but is now isolated, no connections. I downloaded from the Cisco website the same IOS as the other switch on the stack. The first switch is 16.09.05. I cant load th image from the usb to the switch.

May be you you hitting the bug seems to be :

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvo85575

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card