Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC peer-link and data traffic NEXUS best practices

Chris_78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys 

I'm building my first vPC domain and i'm following vPC design best practices here i'm bumping my head on the following: 

Recommendations for vPC Peer-Link Configuration The vPC peer-link is a standard 802.1Q trunk that can perform the following actions: Carry vPC and non-vPC VLANs. -> and a little later in that same document 

Strong Recommendations: When building a vPC peer-link, follow these guidelines: Split vPC and non-vPC VLANs on different interswitch port channels (use vPC peer-link to carry vPC VLAN and the other interswitch port-channel to carry non-vPC VLAN)...

My setup is two 3k nexus switches ONE port channel used for peer-link with all production VLANs allowed ... do I have to create another port channel between the switches for production VLANs traffic?

Please help me understand - Do I need 2 x port channels between the two switches in the vPC domain?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Souvik Ghosh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

first lets clarify some terms:

vpc vlans = vlans which are allowed on peer-link

non vpc-vlans = which are "not" allowed on peer-link but used in some spanning tree ports.

in your case it seems like all your vlans will be allowed in peer-link and hence are vpc vlans. if thats the case then one interswitch link (peer-link) is fine. second link is required only when you have a "hybrid" setup with vpc and non-vpc vlans.

additional reading- https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7000-series-routers/116140-config-nexus-peer-00.html

thanks 

souvik

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Souvik Ghosh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

first lets clarify some terms:

vpc vlans = vlans which are allowed on peer-link

non vpc-vlans = which are "not" allowed on peer-link but used in some spanning tree ports.

in your case it seems like all your vlans will be allowed in peer-link and hence are vpc vlans. if thats the case then one interswitch link (peer-link) is fine. second link is required only when you have a "hybrid" setup with vpc and non-vpc vlans.

additional reading- https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/7000-series-routers/116140-config-nexus-peer-00.html

thanks 

souvik

Thanks Souvik that clarifies it!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card