Views
Helpful
Replies

Best QoS Strategy for Desktop Video

gsykes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

So this question refers to both Movi (i'll use that name for differentiation) and Jabber for Windows/Mac/iPad etc

Assuming NBAR is out of the question, then what means are at our disposal for ensuring that the real time media from these soft clients ends up in a Priority Queue?

I'm aware that VCS can apply DSCP tags to Movi traffic when the media is routed via VCS, but what about when the media takes the shortest path directly between the Movi client and the remote endpoint?  Is this still tagged?

What about Jabber?  Can this be configured in CUCM?

Best Regards, Glen

16 Replies 16

Hi Glen,

"

but the niggling issue I have with it is whether other application traffic ends up in the PQ because they use the same ports"

>> If you use "match ip rtp 168384 16383", router will only classify rtp traffic and not other traffic even though they are using same ports. Also note that when you use above criteria it will only mark for even ports (ports used by rtp).

Policy based client marking is a good idea, however there is a chance of getting DSCP values re-written on LAN switch/es. So enable the trust boundary for the same.

Sagar

Good point Sagar actually. Specifying RTP really narrows the field as far as which traffic should end up in the PQ.  The DSCP values shouldn't be rewritten providing the policies on the switches are set up sensibly, but both approaches work and can actually be used to complement each other.

Thanks everyone for your help on this, I think I have enough now to come up with the document I need to create.

Cheers!  Glen