Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for iPad 9.2 released, dns question

Martin Koch
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello!

Is there an admin guide for the new iPad version? I can only find one for the 9.1 version:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iPad/9_1/Admin/JABP_BK_J3C828CB_00_jabber-for-ipad-admin-9-1-1.html

which does not describe the auto discovery function done for the "email style" login.

I can see there are some lookups done:

TXT? domain.com.

SRV? _cuplogin._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _xmpp-client._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _cisco-phone-tftp._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _cisco-phone-http._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _sips._tcp.internal.domain.com.

SRV? _sip._tcp.internal.domain.com.

SRV? _sips._tcp.external.domain.com.

SRV? _sip._tcp.external.domain.com.

SRV? _ciscoedge._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _ciscowtp._tcp.domain.com.

SRV? _ciscowtp._tcp.jabber.com.

SRV? _ciscowtp._tcp.webex.com.

It works fine for me if I set the _sips._tcp.external.domain.com. pointing to my vcse.

Some explanation could be handy, expecially what the TXT lookup is doing.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Paula Talamo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Martin!

I realize your question is a couple of weeks old and I believe since then, the Jabber for the iPad team has posted the latest admin guide which has been updated for the 9.2 release.  Check out the "Setup DNS SRV" section as it might explain what you are looking for - I am not sure how this section differs from the previous guide...

For the benefit of others who have Jabber for the iPad specific questions, please note the Jabber Clients community is available.

HTH,

Paula

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Paula Talamo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Martin!

I realize your question is a couple of weeks old and I believe since then, the Jabber for the iPad team has posted the latest admin guide which has been updated for the 9.2 release.  Check out the "Setup DNS SRV" section as it might explain what you are looking for - I am not sure how this section differs from the previous guide...

For the benefit of others who have Jabber for the iPad specific questions, please note the Jabber Clients community is available.

HTH,

Paula

thx Paula :-)

Yes, the question might also have been placed in the Jabber/iPad section, but for me

thats more how the infrastructure has to handle it so I decided to place it here.

For others who were also wondering, the TXT entry is used following the SPF format to

define the used services.

But it also works without just trying the services untill it finds the configured one.

Think it would be handy if the other JabberVideo clients would also add support for that.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: