cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable Cisco SX-10 mic from remote.

I am using Cisco SX-10 and using it join a non-webEx meeting. Now requirement here is that when admin trying to mute all participants in meeting mute icon on SX-10 must go red.

I tried sending re-invite to SX-10 while having SDP  attribute  "sendonly" on audio m lines. In response i am getting audio m lines with attribute value as "recvonly" which is expected and correct but even then i am NOT seeing any effect of mic icon/color.

Is it possible to do what i am trying to do?

Any guidance/pointers are much appreciated. 

SX-10 firmware version: ce 9.2.5

6 Replies 6

Patrick McCarthy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I doubt it's possible, but the answer might depend on on what it is you're connecting to. When an SX is connected to a Webex meeting via SIP URI there is more information being exchanged than a simple audio connection. I don't have the ability to test it, but I'd bet if that same SX10 was connected to a Webex meeting via PSTN it would not show red when muted by the Webex admin. A/V bridges generally are only muting at their end, for example if you dial into a Webex meeting via audio only and the host mutes you, your phone will not show that it's muted, because it really isn't, the host isn't muting your phone, it's simply blocking the audio coming from your phone at the meeting host location.  I'm generalizing because I don't know what is the meeting host in your case and what it is/isn't capable of doing. 

Hello Patrick,

First of all Thanks for replying. Yes you are right. even when i tried connecting SX device to webEx meeting and tried muting it from webEx admin it only shown me a banner (you are muted and press *6 to unmute and NO red color on EP mic button) , which is something implemented on Cisco webEx Media engines and nothing to do with SX device, neither SX device received any control messages on mute event. 

Please correct me if am wrong. Will it possible that what i am trying to achieve is not working as current firmware on my SX i.e CE 9.2.5 is having some issue and which is fixed in CE9.12.3?

Following is the snip from CE9.12.3 (page 46) i.e. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/software/ce9/release-notes/ce-software-release-notes-ce9.pdf which looks related to what i am trying to achieve.

>>>>>

Previously, the mute button would always show that the device was unmuted. In CE9.12.3 the
mute button will correctly reflect the mute status of the microphones.

>>>>>

CE9.2.5 is very old (2018) software - it's highly recommended that you update to a recent software version (CE9.14.3 is the latest as of the date of this post).

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello Wayne,

Sure, I will getting in touch with our IT team for firmware upgrade.

Thanks

-Sid

Igor Lukic
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Sidharth,

the media negotiation parameters (such as a:sendonly or a:recvonly) are not used for displaying the microphone status. This could be achieved using Active Control, since that protocol can alter the status of the microphone. There are certain requirements for this work, e.g. all communication must be end-to-end encrypted and certain versions have to be used as a minimum. More details can be found here:

https://help.webex.com/en-us/qbe7udb/Improve-the-Cloud-and-Premises-Meeting-Experience-with-ActiveControl#id_96059

I haven't tested it with Webex, but with CMS and it works, i.e. if I mute a Cisco endpoint, the microphone is muted and the LED turns red. If I want to unmute the endpoint, then - due to security reasons - a message is shown on the screen, telling the user that an unmute indication has been sent.

Best regards,

Igor

Hello Igor,

Apologies for delay in response.

Sure I will have a look at attached doc for active control.

Thanks,

Sidharth