cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to setup MX200 for teleconferencing?

solsem
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I just bought a used Cisco MX200 but I have no idea what is needed for it to work and how to setup it up for dialing.I am an absolute beginner. This is what I have:
- non-static broadband 200M
- IP telephony subscription

- a working MX 200.

The IP telephony provider will not provide the SIP info but they mentioned that they have already set up the SIP for my ip-telephony to work.

Do I need some subscriptions for my device MX200 to makes or receive video phone calls?

8 Replies 8

Anurag Srivastava
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you have on prem CUCM, then please refer the below link for configuring your endpoint -

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/telepresence/endpoint/ce80/administerting-endpoints-running-ce80-on-ucm-1101.pdf

And if you don't have on prem solution then you can use this as a standalone endpoint as well.

Also check with your IP telephony provider if they support for these endpoint as well.

Thanks.

Please rate if it is helpful...

Sorry for my ignorance.I am totally new to this technology. What I got is only MX200 and IP telephony and internet wideband. By prem CUCM I suppose you mean some kind of server? I don't have such. You mentioned I could use MX200 as standalone video communication device(endpoint). How?

The IP telephony provider don't supply needed parameters for setting up of MX200. If my IP telephony provider does not support this kind of endpoint, is there some other way, maybe cloudwise or otherwise, I can use the MX200? I would appreciate if you explain in layman terms.

Thank you.

@solsem1 wrote:

I could use MX200 as standalone video communication device(endpoint). How?

If you search in these forums for "SX20 Standalone" you will see many posts that will tell you what to configure to use one of these types of endpoints as a Standalone device.  A good one is this one: SX20 as standalone?

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hi Wayne DeNardi,

From the link you provided, it seems static IP is a must for fully functioning standalone configuration.

As my broadband provider is using fiber optic, I am not sure I can get static IP.

My question is then if one got devices such as MX200 or SX20, is there some other way to get a fully functioning standalone? I am thinking services from IP telephony providers or cloud services such as Starleaf, Skype etc?

thank you.

For a standalone device, that is correct, your device will need to have a consistent IP address that you can have people call to, and allow that device in/out through your firewall.

With some of the more modern endpoints (you don't mention whether your MX200 is the old Gen1 hardware version, or the newer G2 version), if they are running the "CE" software release, you could register them to the Webex Cloud.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

What I can find In the web interface is 

product:  Cisco TelePresence MX200

Software version:  TC7.3.5

I suppose it is MX200 G1.  Is it possible to upgrade to "CE" and for free?

Is this device like an IP phone with video function so that if someone calls me from a landline, the device will act

as a landline with only audio. If that person's endpoint has audio and video support, then we could have a video conversation? For this to happen, I will need to get a phone number with H323 or SIP support, that is an IP phone number? If it is so, then even if I get an IP phone number that supports SIP, which I have, if my service provider does not support such devices(they have a policy to not provide details of SIP), my device MX200 will still not work, is that a correct assessment?

As it's likely one of the original old MX200 Gen 1 devices, then, no, it cannot be upgraded to the newer CE software, you can only do that with the G2 version of the MX200 (and the upgrade is only "free" if you have an active service contract on the device, or have a critical security vulnerability that requires the upgrade.

The MX200 G1 is quite old (end of sale 29 October 2014), and was replaced by the MX200 G2 (which has now also gone end of sale as well on 2 May 2018) and been replaced with the newer Room 55.  The G1 device is no longer being maintained, the TC software it runs is only getting some critical security vulnerability fixes and isn't being developed any more, and the G1 device goes completely end of support on 31 October 2019, so I don't know that I would be spending too much time and effort trying to get such an old device working, as you're likely going to need to replace it in the near future anyway.

But, saying that, yes, it is similar to an IP Phone, but can do Video as well.   You can set it up similar to any other IP telephony device, as long as your IP telephony provider or infrastructure supports it.  It cannot be used with a standard PSTN land line.

You could possibly register the device with another third party that supports the MX200 as a device, but you will still need to make sure that all the relevant firewall ports are open between you and your video provider.  You will need to check with whatever provider you chose on what will be required for their service.

Wayne

Thanks you Wayne for your informative reply. Now it is very clear what I can expect.