Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber MRA Multiple internal & external Domains

mvonderforst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the best solution for a problem with a customers deployment.

The customer is already using Cisco Jabber MRA, but with just the presence domain for for user sign in/ service discovery.

Now the customer is looking to enable Jabber (MRA) for users from multiple additional Domains.

They have multiple LDAP connections for user snychronisation configured at the moment. So users can be found in multiple internal domains (internaldomail1.local, internaldomain2.local, etc.). There are corresponding external domains (externaldomain1.tld, externaldomain2.tld, etc.) as well.

The goal is, to have all users be able to sign in with "their ID"@"their respective externaldomain" (internally and via MRA).

Basically "user1@externaldomain1.tld" and "user2@externaldomain2.tld" both should be able to sign in with that information internally as well as via MRA.

From the research I've done, I gathered that using AD LDS in combination with flexible JID would be the best way to go to solve this issue "internally". However, I also found infromatuin stating flexible JID is not supported in combination with MRA.

Can we configure AD LDS and flexible JID, configure the external Domains on Expresway set the SRV records and assume that this works? Is there an alternative solution?

Is this even possible? Is there a "best practice" for a requirement like this? What internal and external DNS records are needed?

I would appreciate any help or experiences you may have had with similar deployments.

Thank you for reading and maybee helping.

Best Regards,

Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Please post the link that says that MRA and flexible JID do not work together.

If they're already using multiple domains, I assume they're in the same forest, so, now you need LDS for a multi-forest integration?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

Please post the link that says that MRA and flexible JID do not work together.

If they're already using multiple domains, I assume they're in the same forest, so, now you need LDS for a multi-forest integration?

HTH

java

Multi-domain MRA was all together not supported some years ago, and was in preview state for many releases, currently it's supported, and if you look at the current MRA configuration guides, they actually show an example with multiple presence domains on a single deployment.

I actually tested multi-domain MRA many years ago when it was finally allowed, but not fully supported, and it worked fine.

The "bug" to which it links, clearly states that it is an enhancement request, any "bug" with severity 6 is something that was asked to be changed or introduced, not an actual bug.

Unless you find the information on Cisco documentation, take it with a grain of salt, or consider that it might be different and review current documentation to confirm current status.

HTH

java

Thank you for the clarification.