cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor video and pixilation

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for some help as I'm not really sure where to go.  I have one particular site that seems to experience poor video quality quite frequently and sometimes poor audio quality as well.  The site is connected via 100Mbps MPLS and by my analysis is NOT really suffering an oversubscription.  I've analyzed port stats, stats on router interfaces.  No real evidence of drops or any "bad behavior" with exception of some drops uplink between two switches at the site.  

Thoughts?

Richard W. Pidcock
8 Replies 8

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

You might implement IP SLA (or TWAMP, or Thousand Eyes) responders and measure the loss and jitter of packets with audio/video QoS markings from the head-end to LAN segments at the troublesome site. This would confirm that there is, or is not, a network transport issue.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

I found that I have an IP SLA monitoring tool available to me, got it configured this afternoon and so far stats look good.  I'll continue to monitor for a while and see where this goes.

Richard W. Pidcock

The stats is not important here 

The jitter delay is important 

The jitter must be within value longer than it the voice and video quality not good. 

You need to run IP sla udp since all voice and video use udp and this give you almost real behave of network. 

In end I think you need to push qos and your ISP need to use map Qos to FCS of mpls label. 

MHM

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

This after setting up the monitor, it has been just under 24 hours since I set it up.

RichardPidcock_0-1711025319866.png

Richard W. Pidcock

No transport issues indicated with the synthetic IP-SLA probes; have you had video quality issues during this period with production video traffic?  If not, let it soak. If so, where is this IP-SLA responder located in relation to the video clients: same LAN segment? LAN backbone? WAN router? Do the IP-SLA probes have the same QoS markings as actual production video traffic?

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

how much payload you use ?
try use 250 bytes and see jitter 

MHM

Ashish Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

if the device is registered to the Webex Cloud you could.  Together with IP SLA stuff... you are doing already

1. Use Control Hub troubleshooting to look at calls from the device
2. Room OS now has the Thousand Eyes agent (you'd have to pay a license in Thousand Eyes) that you could run to see where you are seeing packet loss etc.

3. Logs from the device itself?

Thanks

ashish

Response Signature

Please illustrate more regarding the setup, anyway if you have poor video quality issue between for example site A and site B, please take PCAP from both endpoints and check the large size UDP packets from site A can reach to site B or not, mostly those large UDP packets their size is more than 1500 bytes are getting dropped because the MTU size that is configured at MPLS devices is the default one 1518 bytes, in that case you can ask your ISP to increase MTU size , or use fragmentation after encryption in case using IP sec.