Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Phonebook for ISDN Link Paired Devices

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi everyone,

I'm currently experiencing an issue trying to get a TMS phonebook containing ISDN details on to an SX20 with an ISDN Link.

I've created a manual list phonebook in TMS that contains both H323 and/or ISDN details for various endpoints.  The phonebook is detected by the SX20 and it shows all the H323 details, but none of the ISDN entries are listed.  The same phonebook, when applied to an Edge 95, shows all the entries.

I've tried creating a phonebook that only contains only ISDN numbers, and assigning that to the SX20, and then nothing is shown.

My initial thoughts are that, as TMS has the information as an "ISDN" entry, and as SX20 has similar phonebook information stored as "H320", that the two are not compatible/being translated correcftly - and thus it's a TMS and/or TC Software bug.

Apart from the phonebook issue, all other funtionality is working as expected.

Versions:

TMS: 14.1.1

SX20:TC7.0.1

ISDN Link: IL1.1.0

Edit: I tried pushing the same phonebook to a C60 and that didn't work either - running TC6.3 - only the H323 entries were seen - the ISDN ones are missing, so it's not purely an SX20 issue.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is no ISDN link support in TMS. When "route phone books" is set to Yes, TMS removes entries that it does not expect the endpoint to be able to dial, which is what happens here. As far as TMS knows, SX20s cannot dial H320 numbers.

?Kjetil

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

Hi,

I don't think this is on the roadmap, so please raise a feature request.

Regards,

Kjetil

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wayne. Is TMS set to route phonebook entries? Its a global setting so would apply to all systems. Wondering if you set to "no", TMS will send the phonebook anyway. The next step would be is to see if TMS is sending it....if it is, it may not be in a format the endpoint understands. Guess worth a try on the setting to see if TMS routes it anyway and if it shows up.

VR
Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks Patrick,

If I set the Route Phonebook Entries to "No", then the phonebook entry does get on to the device - although, so then does everything else that I don't necessarily want there, or on all my other devices, as it's a global setting.

The "+" at the start of the phone number goes missing though, so if the unit tries to dial the number provided, it doesn't work: 

ie Phonebook has: +61 (8) 89999999, the device gets h320:61889999999.

I tried it in my test lab with TMS 14.3.2 to see if that helped but it behaves the same.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne
--
Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Patrick Pettit
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks Wayne. Will have to see if someone submitted a request for TMS to "know" that a system is paired to Link and route entries for ISDN to it. But hopefully someone may have another idea here for ya.

VR
Patrick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks Patrick,

Would be good to know if it's supposed to work or not.  I'll get a case logged with TAC to push the question.

In the mean while, as a work around, I'll push a normal H.323 directory to these devices from TMS and put the ISDN entries in each of the endpoint's local directory.  As I don't have a lot of them, this is maintanable in the short term.

Wayne
--

Wayne
--

Kjetil Ree
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is no ISDN link support in TMS. When "route phone books" is set to Yes, TMS removes entries that it does not expect the endpoint to be able to dial, which is what happens here. As far as TMS knows, SX20s cannot dial H320 numbers.

?Kjetil

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks Kjetil,

Are you aware of any plans to add this, or should I be raising a feature request through my local Cisco rep?

Wayne

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Wayne
--

Hi,

I don't think this is on the roadmap, so please raise a feature request.

Regards,

Kjetil

Feature request has been logged, with the following (expected) response:

Currently the feature is not on the roadmap in the near or medium term.

Note that we are not selling a large amount of the ISDN link and this is expected to decline as better Internet connections dominate. Consequently getting such a feature prioritised over others might be a challenge.

Unfortunately, in large parts of rural and remote Ausitralia, the "better internet connections" are still prohibitively expensive, or unavailable and ISDN is the best we can do.  In the mean while, we're managing a local phone book on the devices with ISDN Links attached containing all the required ISDN entries.

If we had the time and resources, we could also swap some of the endpoints around, so the ISDN sites have the older Edge95s (which do get an ISDN phonebook from TMS) and the IP only sites have the SX20s - that'd help get us over the short term pain until the Edge95s become end-of-life in 2018 (and won't require the use of the ISDN Link).

Wayne
--

Wayne
--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: