Views
Helpful
Replies

VCS-C Backup different IP?

dromer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i just want to virtualize my VCS-C appliance.

The new licenses are already added to my newly installed virtual VCS-C.

Now i wanted to restore the VCS hardware appliance to the new virtual one.

The question is now: is the IP address of the host included in the backup? Because the virtual one is in a different V-LAN and can't get the same IP as the old one.

Actually i get an IP crash as well, when both server try to get the same IP.

Does any one now this?

regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Randy Valverde Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dromer,

Yes the backup should include the IP, you can turn off the old server before applying the backup to the new one that way you wont have a duplicated IP address on your network.

Also, since the new one is being virtualized, you should be able to log in via console and run the wizzard to change back the IP address.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Randy Valverde Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dromer,

Yes the backup should include the IP, you can turn off the old server before applying the backup to the new one that way you wont have a duplicated IP address on your network.

Also, since the new one is being virtualized, you should be able to log in via console and run the wizzard to change back the IP address.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your help.

Now i have to found a timeslot to turn down the productive server.

regards

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't remember if the backup restores the old VCS IP address or not, I want to it does, because the warning you get when you perform a restore from another system's backup file says:

The backup you are attempting to restore from was made for another VCS (XXXXXXXX). Any option keys will not be valid, and this may result in duplicate IP addresses in your network.

If the IP address used by the hardware VCS is restored to the virtual VCS, you can use VMware Console and run the Startup Wizard to update the IP address.