cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why are the layouts so difficult to adjust? SX20

crispmastering
Level 1
Level 1

How come with this unit it is necessary to go in and assign different values on multiple instances just to be able to have a mirrored presentation? Isn't this what the layout function should be doing? As is you have to interrupt a meeting and go through multiple sub menus and change multiple options just for layout adjustments. Will there be some sort of software update? Also the way the menu is documented in official documentation is incorrect for setting up multiple screen scenarios. Is anyone on this? 

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I take it this is a dual screen setup as you mention multiple screens.  Are you trying to mirror the layout on both screens to be identical, or trying to display different things on each?  Be as specific and detailed as possible.

What is the software version of the SX20?

I agree, some of the documentation could benefit in explaining things better.

Im talking about dual monitors here is the way the scenarios actually work...

Regular: aka extended screen (cameras on 1st screen. presentation on 2nd only)

Configuration> Video> monitors> dual

Configuration> Video> Hdmi > first

Configuration> Video> Hdmi 2 > second

Configuration> Video> full mode > on

Configuration> Video> selfview > default on monitor role second

Dual mirrored with pip: (can only remove self view pip. Far end pip will always be there)

Configuration> Video> monitors> auto

Configuration> Video> Hdmi > second

3rd scenario Dual mirrored presentation: No pip

Configuration> Video> monitors> dual

Configuration> Video> Hdmi > second

This is not how it is listed in the documentation, is my unit messed up or are these the correct processes?

But why is it so convoluted? Why can't I switch between these scenarios with my layout button? Is there an easier way it is really terrible to have to go through so many sub menus to switch what should be basic functionality. 

You're configurations are correct, however I believe the options of the layout button functions differently than what you believe it does.  The layout button allows you to control the different views available based on how the codec's display's are currently configured.  It's not meant to change the configuration of the displays.

Semantics really. I guess I just wonder why not just have 3 option modes as opposed to having to know all 5 tick box scenario x 3 configurations. 

As a work around, you could program up an external control system that sends the appropriate API commands to the endpoint (via SSH) to adjust the configuration on the fly.  That would give you a quick and easy way to do it, and, you can likely do it over the network without even attending the room if you wanted to.

If you want something more complex, or easier to control, you've really got the wrong endpoint (SX20)... the SX80 allows much better and customisable configuration (see TC Console) where you can define what appears on which monitor under what circumstances and have these easily selectable via the layout button.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.