cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Happy Captain Picard Day!

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

stra-trek-tng-the-pegasus-picard-day.pngWhile I am admittedly a Star Wars fan, I have also enjoyed Star Trek over the years. And while there is some debate on who is the best Captain of the USS Enterprise, my vote is for Captain Picard. And I am not alone.

Since 2007, Star Trek fans have celebrated "Captain Picard Day" on June 16th of each yard, equivalent to "stardate 47457.1." Why?

The date stems from Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7, Episode 12, "The Pegasus." It refers to an annual event onboard the Enterprise-D, where the ship's children pay homage to the Captain with paints and clay sculptures. The date was chosen in the opening narrative – 47457.1. The exact placement of the date is the subject of mild controversy, owing to vagaries in using Stardates. However, according to Memory Alpha, June 16th has been the accepted date among fans since 2007.

How should you celebrate? How you make it so (see what I did there?) is entirely up to you. For example, you could swap out your usual daily beverage for a more sophisticated choice: tea, Earl Grey, hot. If you want to go the extra mile, make sure you don't add any lemon, sugar, or other such additions, as Picard seems to drink his Earl Grey tea black. 

How are you celebrating? Share it with us!  

1 Reply 1

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Captain Kirk is my favorite, despite his tendency to overact and do those Shakespearean pauses. I think I've seen every OG Star Trek episode multiple times. The banter between Kirk, Spock and Bones made all three fun to watch.