cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Happy Geek Pride Day, Towel Day, & the Glorious 25th of May!

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

geek-pride-day-towel-day-glorious-25th-of-may.png

Today, May 25th, we're celebrating a few holidays. Geek Pride Day is the most well-known of these, which started in 2006. Germán Martnez, a Spanish blogger, devised the notion of devoting a day to geekiness and picked the date to correspond with the debut of the first Star Wars film, Episode IV: A New Hope 

There are two more geekish observations this day, as well. May 25th also marks "Towel Day," celebrated by fans of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. On the day, fans carry a towel to show their appreciation for the author and his books. And last but not least, this Thursday is also the Glorious 25th of May, which fans of Discworld celebrate, often with a sprig of lilac. If you are a fan of the late Sir Terry Pratchett's series, you undoubtedly understand what that means.  

The word "geek" has evolved over the years (let me Wikipedia that for you), and even today, there are a variety of definitions. The one I like the best was stated by Jim "Geek Dad" MacQuarrie over a decade ago 

"Noun. Slang. A person whose interests ALWAYS take precedence over popularity or conformity. A person who displays the willingness to bear the public shame of liking some weird thing and not caring who knows it." 

I like Jim's version because it defines what it means to be a geek without excluding anyone. It tells people to be who they want to be no matter what others say. And the subject can be anything, whether that is mathematics, video games, fantasy literature, science fiction films, or many other things. I hear that some people even geek out about computers. It is a day that allows people to unite and celebrate a shared set of interests.  

Are you celebrating?  

If you're a self-proclaimed geek, are you doing anything special to celebrate? For me, the same stuff I do most of the time. I'll be getting a little work done (they won't let me put Community in read-only mode), playing some computer games (been playing a bit of Albion Online and replaying The Witcher 3 lately), streaming some shows (it sounds like an excellent excuse to check out the latest season of Star Wars: Visions), and spending time with friends and loved ones.  

Oh, and if you know of any great Geek Pride sales (or any sales a geek would want to know about), post them here, too! 

1 Reply 1

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While looking for a good "feature" image, I ran across this tidbit from none other than Mr. Hamill himself:

https://twitter.com/MarkHamill/status/1264933411661082626

May The 25th 1977 Be The Day #StarWars Was Released Without A Poster In Just 32 Theaters Nationwide And On That Same Date In 1983 #ReturnOfTheJedi Was Released With A Proper Poster In 1,002 Theaters Due To Increased Interest In The Intervening Years

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: