Views
Helpful
Replies

4331 voice gateway with DSP problems

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a 4331 router/voice gateway, running IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.05 with a call manager 11.5.

The router has a single PRI and

NAME: "subslot 0/1 db module 0", DESCR: "PVDM4-32 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-32 , VID: V02 ,

to carry voice calls.

The site has been up and running with no issues for a couple of years and there have been no recent changes.

Suddenly yesterday, calls through that router began failing and getting a verizon message.

Checking some debugs I found these msgs.

033320: Jun 30 23:28:36.926: %FLEXDSPRM-5-OUT_OF_RESOURCES: No dsps found either locally or globally.
033321: Jun 30 23:28:36.927: ISDN Se0/1/0:23 Q931: TX -> RELEASE_COMP pd = 8 callref = 0x959A
Cause i = 0x80AA - Switching equipment congestion
033322: Jun 30 23:28:37.173: ISDN Se0/1/0:23 Q931: RX <- SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x159B

Since it looked like DSP I ran:

#sh voice dsp voice

DSP DSP DSPWARE CURR BOOT PAK TX/RX

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABORT PACK COUNT

==== === == ======== ========== ===== ======= === == ========= == ===== ============

----------------------------FLEX VOICE CARD 0/1 -----------------------
*DSP VOICE CHANNELS*

CURR STATE : (busy)inuse (b-out)busy out (bpend)busyout pending

LEGEND : (bad)bad (shut)shutdown (dpend)download pending

TYPE NUM CH CODEC VERSION STATE STATE RST AI VOICEPORT TS ABRT PACK COUNT
====== === == ========= ========== ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============

SP2700 001 01 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0
SP2700 001 02 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0
SP2700 001 03 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0

I tried running 'hw-module subslot 0/1 reload’ but the codec column still showed 'disable'.

We redirected traffic through another router to minimize impact to our customers, and then later I added some media resources from a central router, and that evening made some successful test calls.

Shortly after that we did a reload on the router but we're still seeing 'disable' on the DSP.

I reverted call routing to normal and made some successful test calls to the main number.

But at this point, I think there is still a problem - however I dont have enough experience in this area to say for sure.
Does anyone out there have more experience on this? does the 'disable' indicate there is still a problem?
We have another 4331 with the same IOS (but a different DSP) that shows G711 codec where this one shows disable.

If we do still have a problem, what are next steps? Are there other software steps we can try or are we looking at hardware replacement?

If the latter, do we need to replace the DSP board (which is installed on the PRI card), or the PRI card, or both?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

w

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Suggest you open a TAC case for this. Likely there is a problem with your hardware and it needs to be replaced.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Suggest you open a TAC case for this. Likely there is a problem with your hardware and it needs to be replaced.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply - thats what we were fearing - I will try to update the post with the result

Hi Keith, Any luck on finding the root cause of this issue? Codec showing disabled is normal. It will show the codec when there are active calls.

Keith Abbott
Level 1
Level 1

Hi HRS,

It looks like a reload resolved our actual issues (incoming calls failing). As for the 'disabled' showing in the 'sh voice dsp voice' command - apparently thats just they way the flex dsp on the 4331 shows. Ive included an snip from today - with the GW operating normally.  The next step if the reload failed would have been to open with TAC and/or replace DSP.

good luck on your issue.

-------
*DSP VOICE CHANNELS*

CURR STATE : (busy)inuse (b-out)busy out (bpend)busyout pending
LEGEND : (bad)bad (shut)shutdown (dpend)download pending

====== === == ========= ========== ===== ======= === == ========= == ==== ============
SP2700 001 01 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0
SP2700 001 02 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your response. Reload Fixed our issue. It looks like we are hitting this BUG.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvu34009

Yes, disabled status is normal. You would see codec when there are active calls.

SP2700 001 01 g711ulaw 49.2.7 busy idle 0 0 0/1/0:23 01 0 6076/6260
SP2700 001 02 g711ulaw 49.2.7 busy idle 0 0 0/1/1:23 23 0 173/588
SP2700 001 03 disable 49.2.7 idle idle 0 0 0 0/0

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: