Views
Helpful
Replies

+8![0-9#] blocks servicenumber that shouldnt be blocked

andre-inp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've recently been tasked with managing the Cisco telephone system, and I'm currently in the process of familiarizing myself with it. I've encountered an issue regarding Route Patterns, as the title suggests.

The Route Pattern seems to be blocking certain numbers that shouldn't be blocked. Specifically, it's blocking a service hotline number starting with 00800xxxxxxxx. In our case, our colleagues need to dial a 0 before making external calls, so they dial 000800xxxxxxxx, which gets blocked by the Route Pattern +8![0-9#].

Screenshot 2024-04-03 074149.jpg

I've already gone through the documentation and am starting to grasp the concept of wildcards, but I'm still a bit perplexed in this particular case. Is there a way to adjust the Route Pattern to allow the mentioned number, or do I need to create a new Route Pattern for it?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What happens with the leading zeroes "00"?
"00800..." needs to match a different pattern first, it cannot match "\+8..." as the first pattern, because "00" obviously doesn't start with a "+" sign.

My guess: the leading zeroes "00" are replaced with a "+" sign first, and then "+8..." matches your block pattern.

But it's hard to say, because every CUCM is configured differently and without a look on my own, or without logs it's just guessing and pointing to possible config parts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

b.winter
VIP
VIP

What's the pattern therefore? And why is it blocking the call, if it maybe should be used for external calls? A route or translation pattern can be set to block the calls --> check the settings.

If you need to route everything starting with 0 to something external, you need a route pattern starting with "0".
E.g. "0.[1-9]!", "00.[1-9]!", or "000.[1-9]!" depending on different dialing habits.

Thank you for your reply, i really appreciate it.

\+8![0-9#] is supposed to block expensive service numbers here in germany (which it does just fine) but it blocks those 00800 numbers too (guess the one who made that pattern did not think of those numbers) and i was thinking best practice would be to alter that route-pattern so it wouldnt block those anymore. 

we have multiple patterns with "0" and they SEEM to work fine.

What happens with the leading zeroes "00"?
"00800..." needs to match a different pattern first, it cannot match "\+8..." as the first pattern, because "00" obviously doesn't start with a "+" sign.

My guess: the leading zeroes "00" are replaced with a "+" sign first, and then "+8..." matches your block pattern.

But it's hard to say, because every CUCM is configured differently and without a look on my own, or without logs it's just guessing and pointing to possible config parts.

First of all: thank you so much for leading me into the right direction.

You are absolutely right... the Translation Pattern 000.![0-9#] translated the 000800 into +800 which in turn matched the Routing-Pattern +8![0-9#] and is blocked. 

I'll look into the translation-pattern 000.![0-9#] and see if i can make it work.

Thanks alot for your help.

If you want to allow specific destination patterns you’ll need to create a more specific match than the block pattern to let the call go through.

Response Signature

The pattern starting with "+" indicates that there is some E.164 transformation going on. That said, you could build a pattern that is more specific for service you do want to allow. I can't tell you exactly how to do it without seeing more of how user dialed digits are translated into E.164.