cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Beware of Linked Mailbox status - Moving Unity_server mailboxes to Exchange 2010

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all -

Here is a problem I encountered that I want to pass along to you:

When partnering Unity to Exchange 2010, the Unity_servername, USBMS_servername, EAdmin, and unitymsgstoresvc inboxes are moved from the old Exchange to the new 2010 server.  Using the Exchange Management Console, the users should show up as User Mailboxes, not Linked Mailbox.  A Linked mailbox in Exchange 2010 is an external account, i.e. an account in another forest.  If this occurs for the Unity_servername mailbox, external caller voice messages remain in UMR (UnityMTA) and you will see many application event log errors.  In EMC you will observe the account mailboxes show in Disconnected status.

If this happens to you, here is the fix:

• Disable the Account from EMC in Exchange 2010.  Note you will get a prompt that the Exchange properties are being removed but the email inbox is NOT deleted.
  • Re-enable the account from ADUC.
  • In EMC, go to Disconnected Mailboxes, select the Unity mailbox and select Connect.  In the Connect wizard, re-associate with the existing account. Re-enter the user alias and complete the wizard.
  • Restart AvUMRSynchSvr service on Unity.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Sincerely, Ginger

3 Replies 3

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wow, great info!  +5 for this one.  Bookmarked

Thanks Brad :-)  I forgot to mention I discovered a number of Internet hits that say this can happen with Move Mailbox.  Here's the link I used to begin researching the problem (hint: go all the way to the bottom of the web page - http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26308671.html).  Got to give kudo's to this most excellent Exchange resource - has helped me a bunch over the years!

bvanbenschoten
Level 5
Level 5

Great tip, Just ran into this.  +5