Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you install Unified Presence on a BE5000 server

Hi,

Our company recently installed a BE5000, which included the Unified Presence installation DVD, however it seems as if you need a separate server. Is this true or can it be installed on the BE5000? I have not been able to find any documentation on installing it on a BE5000..

Thank you

Jon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It requires a separate server. If you order one I suggest getting an UCS C220 M3 or similar. The BE5k deployment model, which is to say paravirtualization using Redhat KVM, has been deprecated in favor of VMware-based virtualization. This is the model that the BE6k is based on and is not supported on MCS hardware. At some point BE5k customers will be required to transition to the BE6k model (version undetermined at this point) but if you're buying more hardware it probably makes sense to do so with that eventuality in mind.

Alternatively you could look at WebEx Messenger which is a SaaS offering of roughly the same product. There are some feature-by-feature differences but they both use the Jabber client.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It requires a separate server. If you order one I suggest getting an UCS C220 M3 or similar. The BE5k deployment model, which is to say paravirtualization using Redhat KVM, has been deprecated in favor of VMware-based virtualization. This is the model that the BE6k is based on and is not supported on MCS hardware. At some point BE5k customers will be required to transition to the BE6k model (version undetermined at this point) but if you're buying more hardware it probably makes sense to do so with that eventuality in mind.

Alternatively you could look at WebEx Messenger which is a SaaS offering of roughly the same product. There are some feature-by-feature differences but they both use the Jabber client.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.