Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 11.5 tftp Issue

I am running CUCM 11.5.1.17900-52, and I am having troubles with the custom background files being served from the tftp server.  I have uploaded all the same files to all three nodes of the cluster.  When the phone attempts to retrieve the file, it attempts to get List.xml.sgn; this file does not exist at this time, so the call manager node creates the following – List.xml.sgn, Thumbnail_pic.png.sgn, and Pic.png.sgn and places them in the directory “tftpsgn/Desktops(resolution)”.  The tftp server will send the file to the phone, but the phone can not read the file it seems.  This happens with both models of phones that I have (7975 and 8865NR).  The phones I am testing with fall into two categories; phones that have been factory reset, and ones that I have just cleared the itl files on, both have the same results. 

During troubleshooting I have been looking at the RTMT tftp sdl real time trace, and I have noted the following:

• After rebooting the tftp service the first request to the node causes – Cluster manager starts transition for proxy tftp, but it name ClusterGWApiTftpPeer as random characters ( like upside question marks, symbols, and fractions; it reminds me of when you have the baud rate wrong on a serial port ).  I cannot find any log that will tell me what peer it is trying to use.
  • I notice that the tftp server also tries to proxy the phone configuration files, phone have no problem registering.
  • This behavior is noted the exact same on all nodes.
  • I am unable to see a proxied request come into any other node

I have pulled the List.xml.sgn files and they are signed by the local node that I retrieved them from; and all of the nodes certs are listed as call manager trust, and phone-SAST- trust with each other.

I have check the phone security profile, and I am running unsecured profiles that do not have the encrypted tftp box checked.

I did initially have two additional nodes as part of the cluster but they have been deactivated; I have turned all of the services off at this time.

I have worn the google machine out on this one, and the only thing I can find is CSCv82202; but it only applies to versions earlier than I am running.  

Everything I can find says to me that it is a cert error, or a bug.  As far as I can tell, each of the nodes should be trusting each other in every possible way.  I also do not understand why the node immediately tries proxy tftp; I have not set up proxy tftp at any point (that I know of).

3 Replies 3

Is this a secure mode ? You call manger is it on Mixed Mode ?

i hope you done  all the steps required  for changing the background.

• You can change the background with list.xml
  • You can also change it using Common phone profile or even on phone you can specify the file name.(the one which i prefer)

Background image change using list.xm method.

1. Create and edit an image that will be used as the IP Phone background and thumbnail images.  Use any photo editing software of your preference.
  2. Create or Edit list.xml file.
  3. Upload the images and list.xml files  to the CUCM's TFTP server and restart TFTP server.Upload folder will be based on the phone model. You can get folder details  from Documents or from Google.
  4. Select the new background image in the Cisco IP Phone settings.

Using Common Phone profile .

1. Upload images to CUCM TFTP
  2. Enable End User Access to Phone Background Image Setting” should be unchecked on common phone profile
  3. Add the file name on Background IMage
  4. Apply the profile on phone and apply  config.

Response Signature

Not secure mode, I am not running mixed mode.

I have edited and uploaded the List.xml files to the appropriate directories along with image files and thumb nails.

I am testing with phones that have the background set in the profile, but i have a few that I am allowing the user to change background to test with.  Neither of the two methods allows the phone access to the files. 

Does your phones use secure profile ? AFAIK phones will try to download  the .sgn files if its in secure.

Response Signature