Helpful
Replies

CUCM Migration to New UCS server

min ko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir,

Good day to you.

We have Cisco cucm pub,sub(cluster) Version 11.5.1, and UCCX ,CUC servers on ESXI 6.0 in our environment 

we need to move our cisco uc servers form old BE6K  to new hardware UCS via vMotion. I would like to know that when we move the cucm clusters to new hardware,

1. CUCM Mac address will change or not

2. Can affect for the CUWL license on CUCM (PLM)

I always happy to hear from you. Thanks all.

You Sincerely,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nope, that's wrong, PLM DOES use the MAC address from the VM to bind the licenses, that's why the PLM documentation suggests to use a hard-coded MAC instead of an automatically created MAC.

Set Manual MAC
On a virtual machine, the MAC can be dynamic or static (manual). We recommend a static MAC because the
licenses are linked to MAC. Configure virtual machines with static (manual) MAC by following the steps
below.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_2SU10/cucm_b_cplm_b_release-notes-plm-1052-su10/cplm_b_release-notes-plm-1151-su7_chapter_01.pdf

If it's a co-res PLM, then it does use the CUCM's MAC address for PLM as well.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

its mentioned on the Link Java Shared.

Set Manual MAC
On a virtual machine, the MAC can be dynamic or static (manual). We recommend a static MAC because the
licenses are linked to MAC. Configure virtual machines with static (manual) MAC by following the steps
below.
Procedure
Step 1 Using vCenter or vSphere Client, select Edit virtual machine settings.
Step 2 Select Network adapter 1.
Step 3 Take note of the MAC address.
Step 4 Select the manual option for the MAC address.
Step 5 Set the MAC address as noted earlier, or set another unique MAC address.
Step 6 Select OK to save the settings.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

It won't effect the license  int PLM. if you face any sync  issues with your existing Instances, remove and readd the  instance.

Response Signature

Nope, that's wrong, PLM DOES use the MAC address from the VM to bind the licenses, that's why the PLM documentation suggests to use a hard-coded MAC instead of an automatically created MAC.

Set Manual MAC
below.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_2SU10/cucm_b_cplm_b_release-notes-plm-1052-su10/cplm_b_release-notes-plm-1151-su7_chapter_01.pdf

If it's a co-res PLM, then it does use the CUCM's MAC address for PLM as well.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks JAVA 

Response Signature

Thanks Mr. Jamie Valencia and Mr. Nithin

I really appreciated for your answers. your help is very useful to me.

Best Regards,

Min Ko

min ko
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sir,

May I ask you to one more question.

Could I know that Hard-Coded MAC means static-Mac ? May I know more details please.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Min Ko

its mentioned on the Link Java Shared.

Set Manual MAC
below.
Procedure
Step 1 Using vCenter or vSphere Client, select Edit virtual machine settings.
Step 2 Select Network adapter 1.
Step 3 Take note of the MAC address.
Step 4 Select the manual option for the MAC address.
Step 5 Set the MAC address as noted earlier, or set another unique MAC address.
Step 6 Select OK to save the settings.

Response Signature

Dear Mr. Nithin,

Thanks for your answer and  I know about between CUCM and PLM license related case very well.

1. If I cloned old (BE6K) Cisco Call Manager VM to new UCS via Vcenter , the features and network services will stop in CUCM ?

2. And let me know that CUCM v11.5 support Vsphere v6.7?

I always happy to hear from you. Thanks again.

All the best,

Min Ko.

1. If I cloned old (BE6K) Cisco Call Manager VM to new UCS via Vcenter , the features and network services will stop in CUCM ?

Never done a clone/move of CUCm using Vcenter. Some one from the community will give you an answer. 

2. And let me know that CUCM v11.5 support Vsphere v6.7?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/older_pages/virtualization-cisco-unified-communications-manager-older.html#v11.5

Screenshot 2021-09-23 at 3.49.29 PM.png

Response Signature

min ko
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Mr.Nithin ,

Thanks for your answers. I cleared for no.2 answer very well.

let me ask you that,

Ans: Never done a clone/move of CUCm using Vcenter. Some one from the community will give you.

whether that is not recommended by Cisco or Vmware side. As the services can stop? I always happy to hear from you. and thanks a lot for helping me.

Best Regards,

Min Ko

Hi @min ko  ,

please take a look at: Virtualization Software Requirements. search for Best Practices (VMware vMotion, Long Distance vMotion, Storage vMotion and VMware Snapshots),

"...

In ESXi 5.1+ vMotion allows "DAS to DAS", i.e. VM can be installed on DAS and source/destination physical servers can have different DAS yet still vMotion the VM.

Moving a shut down VM during a maintenance window, i.e. a "cold migration" or "host to host migration", is not vMotion and is supported.

Migration of UC VMs that are live and processing live traffic is supported

Long Distance vMotion
Not supported ... Long Distance vMotion is a joint Cisco and VMware validated architecture for using the vMotion feature across Data Centers

VMware Snapshots
NOTE: support varies by app and version.

..."

Hope this helps !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: