Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Timezone

learnsec
Level 1
Level 1

hello dear,

why do we have two parameters for the timezone on CUCM?

you can set timezone through CLI command line, and you can have your time zone on GUI interface, system / date and time where you use it in device pool.

and for the note they can be different values.

so what is the difference between the two?

as long as i use NTP Server to synchronize with, we cannot check time zone through GUI interface os administration.

what it looks for me is that the CLI parameter is the one that take effect, while the GUI parameter affects nothing and is useless.

please can you confirm?

one other issue is that how may i configure Daylight time saving through CLI Command line? and the offset

regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

You can set timezones no the date/time groups, and you can also set NTP servers. Some phones will use the NTP servers you specify, and others will use the time of the CallManager server.

If your CCM has the wrong time zone (or has the wrong UTC, and a timezone that is set to make it appear right) then phones will have incorrect time if they offset from the CCM UTC rather than using NTP.

For the server:

1) First do a 'show timezone list', find your timezone, and note the number

2) Then do a 'set timezone x' where x is your timezone number from step 1

On the date/time groups, I would set always set a correct timezone, and NTP servers.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

OS Admin page is to set the time and timezone for the CUCM server.

Device Pool is to set the time zone of devices (ie. phones).

Michael

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The TZ set on the server CLI determines the timezone that the server is in. So if it's in the US, you get a US local time when you connect to the server.

The TZ set on the device pools (via a date/time group) can be set per device pool, so you can have users in different countries or states with different time zones, and they each get appropriate local time on their phones.

The linux OS has timezone information that includes the necessary DST offsets for time zones that observe DST.

Similarly, CCM has timezone data that is used to determine DST etc for each time zone.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

but with a setup inlcuding a ntp server to synchronize with, i have to set a correct time zone on cli in order to get a correct GMT time, then i have to set the correspondend timezone for users as per their device pool.

it is useless to set the right TZ in GUI device pool/date and time, while the CLI TZ is wrong. i will have a wrong clock right?

finally what are the commands that may help set the CLI TZ/DST/etc/

regards,

Hi

You can set timezones no the date/time groups, and you can also set NTP servers. Some phones will use the NTP servers you specify, and others will use the time of the CallManager server.

If your CCM has the wrong time zone (or has the wrong UTC, and a timezone that is set to make it appear right) then phones will have incorrect time if they offset from the CCM UTC rather than using NTP.

For the server:

1) First do a 'show timezone list', find your timezone, and note the number

2) Then do a 'set timezone x' where x is your timezone number from step 1

On the date/time groups, I would set always set a correct timezone, and NTP servers.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

NTP always deliver the correct GMT (or UTC) time no matter what timezone you set.  The timezone is to offset the UTC time to the correct local time.

There are two options for the phones to get the UTC time:

1) With "NTP Reference" configured in device pool.

With this option, the phones will get the time from NTP source and offset with the timezone configured in device pool.

2) Without "NTP Reference" configured in device pool

With this option the phones will get the time from CUCM and offset with the timezone configured in device pool.

Hope this helps.

Michael

hello michael,

u r right that when configuring the date / time parameter to use it in device pool, i have two option in date/ time page, wether to use ntp reference or not.

also there is on CUCM GUI interface, os administration page, there is the option to configure ntp, then if i configure ntp on os administration page, the time zone parameter (also same page on os administartion) is highlighted and cannot be identified.

a third place to configure time zone and ntp server which is the cli interface.

so i end up with three places talking about NTP and timezone.

can you explain the difference?

OS Admin page is to set the time and timezone for the CUCM server.

Device Pool is to set the time zone of devices (ie. phones).

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: