cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUPC client not showing softphone but showing up under presence viewer on CUP server

BILL PETERSEN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Having a strange issue where the presence client wont show the softphone configured for them but when you go to the presence server and use the presence viewer to see what the client should be seeing, it shows up there. From that it looks like the UPC phone in call manager is being seen ok by the CUPS server but for some reason not by the client. Tried fully shutting down the client and also restarting the re-sync service on CUPS but no such luck.

thanks

5 Replies 5

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please check if TFTP is configured on CUPS (CUPS > Application > Settings)

Also trying pulling the softphone manually from CUPC client workstation

Command (from windows command prompt)

tftp -i GET .cnf.xml

If this doesn't successfully downloads the file there is firewall issue in the network or on the workstation over tftp.

(Note: Windows 7 doesn't have tftp client installed by default, need to install it from Control Panel > Programs and Features > Add/Remove Windows Feature)

Hi Md

It actually turned out to be that I setup the softphone using using the cupc phone setup in call manager and not the client service framework which is required when using cups 8.5. Once I created the softphone using the client service framework it came up ok in the client.

thanks for the reply earlier

Bill

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear its working.

Softphone for CUPS:

CUPC 7.x - Phone Type - "Cisco Unified Personal Communicator" (aka UPC soft phone)

CUPC 8.x - Phone Type - "Client Services Framework"

While both are SIP device registered to call manager, the CUPC 8.x are XMPP based. If Only CUPC 7.x softphone (the UPC Phone) is configured in cucm, Softphone won't show up in CUPC 8.x on the workstation

Thanks

CUPC 8.x is XMPP based as far as presence/IM was concerned.  Phone feature are still SIP based regardless 7.x or 8.x.

The difference was CUPC 8.x use a different logic to identify SIP device.  8.x pull device list from CUCM device association while 7.x use naming convention  (UPCxxxx).

Michael

Good to hear from you Michael