cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

disabling Hyperthreading with CUOM

bill-mcgowan
Level 1
Level 1

CUOM has been installed and configured with no real issues. I read in the best practices guide that Hyperthreading should be turned off in the BIOS of the server. We turned it off

Since then it seems a bit flakey but possibly not related. (I went to delete 2 devices from the CS inventory and everything in the inventory got deleted for instance, also I get a lot more of the 'script running slow do you want to abort?' error messages)

could turning of hyperthreading after install cause a problem? should it have been turned off before install?

Could turning it back on cause a problem?

thanks for any input

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

"enabling hyperthreading degrades performance". Disabling will bring it back to normal behavior. Based on literature that is available on the net, hyperthreading improves CPU performance, but rest of the hardware like on chip cache is not able to keep up with the increased performance of the CPU and hence there is a overall degradation of the system performance..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6491/ps6705/ps6535/prod_presentation0900aecd8042b291.pdf

yeah - reading that tutorial is what made me decide to disable it to begin with.

The thing is the server / application began acting kind of flaky AFTER disabling hyperthreading.

It seems to have settled down now so I'll keep it disabled for a while, hopefully for good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: