cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to order ELIN's from Verizon

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Have a customer installing CUCM and CER for a large office in Virginia.  The local carrier is Verizon.

The customer's order person at Verizon has never heard of an ELIN.  For a number of reasons, this issue got punted to us.

Does anyone have any information on what is involved in ordering ELIN's through Verizon?  These ELINs would static zone assignments, as the customer doesn't want to run PS ALI with them.                    

Any suggestions/ideas/info appreciated.

TIA

Cliff

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ELINs are just DIDs that are assigned for the purpose of identifying e911 zones. There is nothing special about them when compared to typical DIDs, they are assigned to ERLs and not users.

You can review CER admin guide for some additional background and e911 concepts.

HTH,

Chris

I would agree they aren't really different from DID's.  However, AT&T used to (don't know if they still do) have  a special process to order them.

The concern is that if I just use a DID to do this, that if the customer updates the address in some way it would cascade down on the DID.  I've never dealt with Verizon, so I don't know if they have a way to address this or not. 

Cliff

Cliff,

I don't think the DIDs were every ordered differently, the only difference about them is that they need to be registered with ALI database, so probably when you were getting them from AT&T you were getting them with their e911 service such as locator ID Lite.  Unless your CER is using Intrado V9.1.1 integration you will need to register these DIDs with a ALI provider to ensure thay are tied to specific location, i.e. address/floor/quadrant/etc

HTH,

Chris

So Verizon is providing the ALI info to the PSAP. 

Is there something special we need to ask Verizon for to make this happen?  My issue is that the provisioning people are somewhat clueless as to what to do to handle this in their system, and I have no idea what to point them to.  I don't know their processes.

Cliff

Getting DIDs, and registering them in ALI DB are 2 completly different tasks and most likely handled by different groups within the telco.  I would suggest first order the DIDs and then find out how to register them with the ALI database, if customer has existing locator ID this should be simply if not they will need to sign up and pay for it.

HTH,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: