Replies

receive voicemail in outlook

Hi,

We need to receive unity conn voice mails in outlook as an attachment

I find 2 methods:

the first one is to relay the message but it isn't synching the MWI

The 2nd method is through IMAP

Only I need to confirm if I must install view mail for outlook for this to work

Or I can configure IMAP between unity and outlook for this to work . And how to do this ?

Thanks

Haitham

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version is your Unity Connection and Exchange? 

The preferred method is to implement single inbox (part of Unified Messaging).

Hi,

I need to do this without using viewmail Manish

We have CUC 10.5 and exchange 2013

I hear about single inbox but I felt it need viewmail also ?

No need for view mail for any scenario, view mail is just a simple plugin for Outlook that allows you to play/record messages directly in Outlook, otherwise you get attachment which needs to be played with another media player.

I would definitely go the single inbox route so that there is nice sync between Outlook/Exchange and CUC, MWI works well, etc.  Here is the admin guide for it:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/10x/unified_messaging/guide/10xcucumgx/10xcucumg020.html

Chris

Thanks a lot Manish and Chris,

I'll go with this and get back :)

I agree with Chris [+5], you can check the following section from Design Guide for both the scenario - with and without viewmail

"Single Inbox Works with ViewMail for Outlook

If you want users to use Outlook to send new Unity Connection voice messages, or to reply to or forward voice messages, and if you want the messages to be synchronized with Unity Connection:

• If you have not already done so, in Unity Connection Administration, add SMTP proxy addresses for the Unity Connection users that are configured for single inbox. The SMTP proxy address for a user must match the Exchange email address that is specified in the unified messaging account in which single inbox is enabled.
  • Install ViewMail for Outlook on user workstations. Without ViewMail for Outlook installed, voice messages are sent by Outlook as emails with .wav file attachments, and are treated as emails by Unity Connection.
  • On each user workstation, associate an email account with a Unity Connection server.

Voice messages appear in the Outlook Inbox folder of the user, alongside other messages that are stored in Exchange; the voice messages also appear in the Unity Connection mailbox of the user.

When single inbox is configured, Unity Connection adds a Voice Outbox folder to the Outlook mailbox. Unity Connection voice messages sent from Outlook do not appear in the Sent Items folder.

Private messages cannot be forwarded.

Single Inbox without ViewMail for Outlook or with Other Email Clients

If you use another email client to access Unity Connection voice messages in Exchange, or if you do not install ViewMail for Outlook:

• The email client treats Unity Connection voice messages like emails with .wav file attachments.
  • When a user replies to or forwards a Unity Connection voice message, the reply or forward also is treated like an email, even if the user attaches a .wav file. Message routing is handled by Exchange, not by Unity Connection, so the message is never sent to the Unity Connection mailbox for the recipient.
  • Users cannot listen to secure voice messages.
  • It may be possible to forward private voice messages. (When users use ViewMail for Outlook, ViewMail for Outlook prevents private messages from being forwarded.)"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/unified_messaging/guide/85xcucumgx/85xcucumg020.html#pgfId-1245087

HTH

Manish

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Haitham,

Please check the section "Prerequisites for Using ViewMail for Outlook with IMAP"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/vmo/release/notes/864cucvmorn.html#wp146566

HTH

Manish